Overgrown tree

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I have jsut moved into a new house, at the back i have a small garded with a fence whith a 5 foot fence that looks out onto a field.

There is a large tree that is in the field that is now reaching such a height that it is blocking of light, but more importantly there are severall large branches that have grown ove the fence and are now well inside my garden and making a bee line for my house.

Does any one have any ideas as to the legality of me cutting the branches that are hanging over the fence.

Would ask, but i have never seen the owner of the field.
cheers

Sponsored Links
My understanding of the law is that you may cut anything that overhangs your boundary back as far as the boundary. You may also return the cuttings to the other side of the boundary. You don't have to disopose of them yourself.

you can legaly remove anything overhanging in you garden from a tree provided you give it back.

in other words you cn chop cut or saw wht is over hanging your fence, but you have to throw it onto the place it came from (field in your case)

i think it comes form say a fruit tree, if you kept it you could eat the fruit, but by throwing it back, proves the only reason you cut it was because it was in the way

Technically you only have to offer it back to the owner. May be worth having a word with them first though.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back