Trimming trees

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I feel this is something of a dim question, but bear with me...

I have a selection of trees that I trim periodically, I have been using an old hedge trimmer that I had from a previous house for this, it's okay, struggles a bit on thicker branches and doesn't quite have a long enough reach to get across the tree being trimmed in a single go (so, I have to move around to cover all sides of the tree).

These are not huge trees, but a bit more than a hedge - if I were to get a new piece of kit to make this quicker, do I just get a more powerful hedge trimmer, or is there something more tree specific? Am I just getting obsessed about the name 'hedge trimmer' unnecessarily?

I'm talking about tidying branches, rather than felling massive chunks, so think a chainsaw would be overkill...

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Maybe - the cutting power would be better, but the lack of reach would be an issue; ideally I'd like to artfully trim my bushes in a single fell swoop.

I think chainsaw is batter than other, Working with chainsaw on different speed and efficient work!

Sponsored Links
I have hedges, a variety of trees around the place, I even have the occasional fallen tree to deal with. I have an electric hedge trimmer, branch cropper, bow saws, reciprocating saw and petrol chainsaw. When I trim the trees, I simply use the long handled branch cropper - it is one of those simple ones, which has its blades shaped to trap the branch when you begin cutting and good up to maybe 33mm. Cut the branch and the smaller stuff and leaves come away with it. Bigger and I might use the chainsaw or a bow saw.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back