Pole Chainsaw for cutting the tops of trees, not the branches

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just renewing the ask on this topic from my perspective. I'm looking for a extending pole tool that can cut tree 'stems' of a thickness greater than a normal hedge trimmer can handle. There are pole chainsaws available to cut branches - that are horizontal to the ground - but I need something to cut the top of the tree/bush when it is directly above you and vertical. I just can't seem to find a tool that does this....as the pole chainsaws just offer a small forward-backward angle, rather than a 90 degree swivel. Hope that all makes sense?

Sponsored Links
I'm looking for an extending pole tool that can cut tree 'stems' of a thickness greater than a normal hedge trimmer can handle. There are pole chainsaws available to cut branches - that are horizontal to the ground - but I need something to cut the top of the tree/bush when it is directly above you and vertical. I just can't seem to find a tool that does this....as the pole chainsaws just offer a small forward-backward angle, rather than a 90 degree swivel. Hope that all makes sense?

I understand your problem, I have the same issue, if left a bit too long the privet stems get too thick for the hedge cutter. It takes a lot of work to chew through the big stems.

I've wondered this too. I have the Stihl long-reach HTA85 which gives about a 4m reach but only if you are directly under the tree. So you can only do ugly spear cuts which is dangerous.
If only they'd let you rotate the head like they do on the hedge-trimmer, it seems to me it would be extremely useful. Maybe it's not due for reasons of weight/durability?
My only suggestion is to get a tall step-ladder and then extend the pole horizontally.

I would guess you could bodge something if you had the skills...

Sponsored Links
Sounds very dangerous, gravity works directly and vertically downwards to where you will be standing holding a long pole.
Yes, you'll see I said that in my post. I think most of us know which way gravity works :)
In my experience with a pole-saw reducing a tree, wherever you stand is where it wants to fall though. Possibly pole-saws are not designed for vertical branches in the first place, so does the tool the OP describes exist?

Every time I have seen a tree top being safely removed the tree surgeons have arranged to have a safe access platform providing them with access at the top of the tree.

Cherry picker or a telehoist access platform were used.

I'm doing this at the moment using a set of steps in front of the hedge and using a 16" chainsaw turned sideways for reducing the height of some very tall, thorny bushes.
I use the steps to get my body above waist height to the cut and, as they are only this stems, they tend to drop straight down between the other stems or are held in place by the surrounding stems. My steps do have a wide stabiliser bar across the bottom to prevent side tilting. I also have someone in the background to watch out for me and they pull the cut stems out when I have stopped the saw. Not the ideal solution, and H&S in a workplace would probably go apoplectic, but by taking great care it's working for us. Would not do it if I was alone.

Every time I have seen a tree top being safely removed the tree surgeons have arranged to have a safe access platform providing them with access at the top of the tree.

Cherry picker or a telehoist access platform were used.
We're talking a stem an inch or two thick from the context, I think. I'd love to see someone bring in a cherry picker for something they can cut with a simple pair of loppers.

Actually that makes me think, would something like the Fiskars UPX86 be an option, this has a rotating head? Definitely not going to do anything bigger than an inch but I've used it to top trees before.
https://www.fiskars.eu/products/gar...ergear-x-telescopic-tree-pruner-upx86-1023624

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back