Alternative to chainsaw for smaller branches?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I now have a large garden with lots of big bushes and tall trees... everything is so much bigger that even coming to remove a 'small' bush I find a trunk as thick as my arm! I already bought some decent ratchet loppers and a pruning hand-saw which can do up to 2" or so but it's evident this is going to be very laborious - for instance a yew bush may have a couple of dozen 'trunks' all 2".

A pro would just whip out a chainsaw and make mincemeat of it but I'm scared of the things. I also don't have any desire to go near larger branches that require a chainsaw, I'd rather get someone in for that.

Is there an alternative to a chainsaw in terms of power tools, that can handle branches of up to maybe 3" and is a rough-cut not to get stuck in green wood? In my head I was thinking like a more butch version of a jig-saw but with the blade sticking straight out not underneath. In fact, if you remember electric carving knives from the 80s, a version of that on steroids seems like it would be ideal. But does anything like that exist? If so what would it be called?

Sponsored Links
Have a look at 'reciprocating saws' - especially those with a heavy duty ripping blade......could be your answer!
John :)

Personally found a bow saw takes down small trees with no problem. Not really that hard work with a sharp saw.

Sponsored Links
Personally found a bow saw takes down small trees with no problem. Not really that hard work with a sharp saw.
Sure, if you've got a nice single trunk you can access easily. If you've got a bushy tree with intertwined trunks I find this really hard going as it keeps getting jammed. Plus you typically have to clear loads of small branches to get to the trunk... with a chainsaw you'd carve through the whole thing like butter I think in about 30s?

That said, a decent bow-saw should be added to my armoury. I really could do with a guide to the various tools out there, and a 'shopping list' since there are probably loads of tools I never know existed, which make difficult jobs easy. Moving to the country with a large, established garden I have a lot to learn!

Just a bow saw is pretty cheap, and pretty handy to have. Yeah you are right about smaller branches getting in the way, but personally I find it easier to cut smaller branches with a tree lopper, then use bow saw for the bigger sections.

Regarding removing, its easier to get it cut down to smaller chunks rather than 1 big massive tree. Easier to take it down gradually is what I have found.

You want a pruning saw like a silky, they are much better than bow saws which are unweildy and dont fit in small spaces. The blade is also too thin and flexible for tight undercuts etc and gets trapped easily.

Buy a quality one like a silky and you can buy replacement blades, miles safer than chainsaw and much faster if your only cutting for a few mins. Much safer up a ladder too.

The caveat is they are slow going when you get to 4'' plus and at that point you want a chainsaw. For fruit trees etc and small trees 30ft and below most tree surgeons will use a silky rather than bother with a chainsaw.

I recently got a fairly decent (based on cost and reviews) hand pruning saw. I was slightly surprised how bendy the blade is... I expected a very stiff blade to deal with the wood bending better. The blade cuts great but does start getting stuck as the branch is nearly cut through.

You should be under cutting branches by slicing the bottom side near the collar and then switching to to the main 75% of the cut from the top. I have had some mid range ones such as fiskars etc and they are ok, as with anything the cheaper they are the thinner and poorer quality the blade.

I'm surprised you didnt get on with it, its by far the best tool for your 2'' cuts that are a bit much for a loper but not huge branches.

It might be my technique then I was trying to cut all the way through. I was amazed how fast I could cut with it when it was cutting cleanly.

That said when I have 10 big bushes to deal with (Yews, Rhododendrons, etc) it gets to the point that a power-tool would save a lot of time. I imagine it could save me hours - plus I could use it for chopping the logs for firewood and storage. I generally take the view my time is valuable so if I can buy something to speed it up it's worthwhile. In my old small garden I did everything by hand but now I have a 150-year-old garden of ~.75 acres to deal with, which has been allowed to get quite overgrown the last decade or so.

Silky Gomtaro 300 or a Silky BigBoy 360.

Would recommend either of the above, I have both and use them for clearing wind fallen trees on trails in my local forest. The largest trunk I've cut so far is probably three foot.

I did previously use a bow saw but there is just no comparison.

Have a look at 'reciprocating saws' - especially those with a heavy duty ripping blade......could be your answer!
Quite tempted at looking into these especially considering a decent hand saw is nearly the same cost.

Any brands stand out, or to avoid? For rough cutting do I need fancy blades or generic? The fact most places sell them in 5-packs suggests they don't last too long?

I was looking at a Dewalt or Ryobi cordless one (I already have a Dewalt drill so could share batteries)

Personally I'd go for a basic corded machine such as Screwfix' Titan, with some coarse blades. The blades last well enough but don't particularly like barbed wire etc - hence the reason to have a few standing by. The machine will have a years warranty.
These saws are great for timber demolition, but don't expect much accuracy!

He'll, that's a vicious looking thing.....I wonder how you sharpen it?
It's main disadvantage I guess is that it's maximum jaw size is just that - not a millimetre more. Never used one though!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back