Pole chainsaws

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to cut the top of a hedge to make it flat..

So can the chainsaw part be adjusted so that it is at right angles to the pole?

Sponsored Links
Most pole chainsaws only allow the blade to be adjusted along the axis of the pole, but there are some that do adjust in the way you need - so it depends on what you choose.
Extended reach hedge cutters do just this so you could consider hiring one.
Although the theory of using these machines is straight forward enough, actually using one is a lot more difficult!
John :)

If you're anywhere near a rural area, farmers have tractor mounted hedge cutters, if the hedge is accessible for a tractor.
It would take them about 10 minutes to go along something like a 20 metre hedge row.
Quicker, safer, neater. You just clean up afterwards.

Ahah some good ideas emerge. Thanks John and Bobby Dazzler.

I'm not sure when Autumn comes, that the person who does my hedges who has all the equipment, will be available. My hedges are 11 feet high and I am 6 foot tall. But I am over 80 and my strength is not what it was. I have tried the extended hedge cutters but had to sell it as it was too heavy and unwieldy.

1. John can you name a couple that do adjust so that I can do a horizontal cut. I prefer a battery one if possible as it won't weigh as much.

2. I can always chamfer the hedge of course which seems more sensible.

3. Bobby Dazzler, the hedge runs along the back of my property out of the reach of a tractor mounted cutter. They will do the track hedge though.

Sponsored Links
Whatever the length of the cutting head, realistically it will only cut about 3/4 of its length on top of the hedge when angled. So unless the hedge is narrower than that or there us access to cut from both sides part would be left uncut.
If ground conditions are favourable it may be a better alternative to look at a platform or tripod ladder.

A pole with a chainsaw head. I saw some power line people using a long battery one to clear branches and it seemed lightweight and very easy to use.

I have tried the extended hedge cutters but had to sell it as it was too heavy and unwieldy.

So that sounds like you want to trim the top of the hedge with aha chainsaw head angled while walking on the ground?? If so, that isn't going to happen, well not in my experience anyway.

I think what you want isn't possible. In my experience a Chainsaw does not like cutting thin branches (i.e. twigs); anything less than an inch diameter it will snatch and jump - at the end of a long shaft those movements will be even more difficult to cope and be dangerous. I would not try to cut twigs with a chainsaw for those reasons and I'm a lot younger than you.

Save the money you are planning to spend on a tool - get a man in and pay him to do it.

I usually use someone to do the high hedges but I'm not sure, because of his personal situation, whether he will be available come the autumn. I don't want to find out now, again because of his situation. And I don't want to ask someone else and risk offending him. I am very very happy to pay even over the odds. So all I am doing is looking at the various options open to me in case I can't get anyone.

All this advice is therefore very welcome. Thanks to all.

So all I am doing is looking at the various options open to me
last year I bought one if these to do my mother in law's leylandii hedge which is 8'0 high and up to 10'0 wide.

I found it worked brilliantly, its only a lightweight DIY tool so I treated it gently. What is so useful is that it is in 3 parts -so the middle section can be taken out for closer work.

I could work from the ground and trim a bit of the top of the hedge -but its not that successful -the leverage from below makes it difficult, I found it tended to snag on some branches. However I was good enough to use on the parts that weren't accessible.

One thing that was great is that I could stand up a short ladder and reach across the 8'0 wide hedge and cut all the top. Where the hedge got 10'0 wide I couldnt quite reach -but I managed from the ground from the other side.

the hedge trimmer is able to be cranked at a nuber of angles all the way to 90 degrees -which is pretty handy, I had to reach around a greenhouse and using it cranked allowed me to do it.

this hedge trimmer has the motor at the user end making it easier for balance -pole hedge trimmers often have the motor at the cutting end making them difficult to balance.

Im not saying that particular tool is right for you, I just thought Id share my experience.

https://www.toolstation.com/einhell-900w-long-reach-electric-hedge-trimmer/p28140

28140.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back