Pole Saw

WSB

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thinking about getting a pole saw (chainsaw on the end of a pole) to trim some hard to reach branches.

Aside from buying one with the longest reach possible, what else do I need to consider?

Anything I should avoid?

Sponsored Links
I bought a cordless one of these c. 18 moths ago from Lidl, I already had a set of batteries for this, which brought the cost down. This has a length of 1.9 to 2.7 m.

First up, I would say that you want to get one with the shortest reach that will cover your needs. If you only need a reach of, say, 3m and you get one that will extend to 4m then you are carrying - and more importantly holding up in the air - unnecessary weight.

It is not just the weight but how unwieldy it is. With something that is 2-3m long, moving the far end just a couple of inches is hard, as that involves a very small and precise hand movement.

I have a couple of (very old) manual pole pruners, a set of lopper like jaws on the end of a long pole. Those are limited in what they can cut so when I saw the one in Lidl I was basically 100% sure that it would be useful, which it has been. So I did not look into them in detail but my understanding is that there are various options. In increasing power:
- Cordless electric
- Corded electric
- Petrol

Also some (like mine) run electric cables up the body and have the motor at the top. That makes them more top-heavy, more unwieldy.
Others, AFAIUI, have the motor at the bottom and a drive shaft up the body. This makes them heavier overall but less top-heavy, less unwieldy.

Weight is also an issue. Mine has a shoulder strap that goes diagonally across the body and is very useful in taking the weight and keeping the whole thing balanced.

I only use mine for short periods at at time, e.g. 5 minutes cutting then at least 5 minutes breaking down and clearing the brash; repeat for up to an hour. So the shoulder strap is adequate. With a heavier machine, using it for longer, or both, a proper harness might be better.

Mine came with an Oregon bar & chain. As that is what actually does the work it is important to have something good.

Because of the difficulty of accurate positioning, I find making clean cuts hard, even when I take off most of the weight first and then do a second cut. This is not much of a problem for me as my garden became (under earlier ownership) rather a jungle and I am mostly cutting back weed trees (laurel, holly, etc), but if it is a tree that you care about this may be an issue.

• Thanks
Reactions: WSB
Others, AFAIUI, have the motor at the bottom and a drive shaft up the body. This makes them heavier overall but less top-heavy, less unwieldy.

I had a petrol version, engine at the bottom, chainsaw at the top, driven by a coaxial drive up the tube. Extra sections of pole could be added, or left out.

• Thanks
Reactions: WSB
Sponsored Links
I had a petrol version, engine at the bottom, chainsaw at the top, driven by a coaxial drive up the tube. Extra sections of pole could be added, or left out.
The tree men who pruned mine used that type. They also had different heads they could add to the motor pole, such as hedge trimmers.

I have an idea they used Stihl.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back