Trimming worktop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to cut some lengths of worktop to length and will have 2 ends that I will need to stick edging onto. To obtain a really nice and clean straight cut, should I cut roughly to length, then finish with a router run along a straight edge? If so, what bit will I need and which way up should the worktop be? Thanks :confused:

Sponsored Links
Clamp a straight edge to top at 90 degrees and cut using a circular saw, you can finish with a router.If you work from wrong side there will be no tool marks on right side.

If you want to use a router to tidy up the edge, you'll need a 12.5mm x 50mm straight edged cutter

Thanks. By wrong side I assume you mean cut upside down if using a circular saw into the front edge? If using a router, do I just go into the top good side up from left to right? One of my worktops is a breakfast bar and is bullnosed on both edges. Can I use the same methods, but go into both edges and meet in the middle?

Sponsored Links
As routers cut left to right, you have to go into the worktop from the bullnose edge. If it's a breakfast bar with bullnose on each edge, I'd make up a template (which can be clamped to the worktop. Do one side half way across, then turn the worktop over and reclamp the template, so you can finish the cut by going into the opposite bullnose edge. (hope this makes sense).
If your doing straight cuts to ordinary worktop, there's nothing better than a plunge saw like a Festool TS55 with rail to get a perfect cut (which won't need to be cleaned up). You may want to inquire at your local hire centre and see if they hire them out. ;) ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back