Triple glazing or double glazing

Sponsored Links
As far as I was lead to believe the bigger the cavity the better, but you've lost 4mm of that by using 6mm assuming its a 28mm which it looks like it is, with a triple glazed unit you lose cavity space to include an extra pane so for that reason the smallest triple I've seen is 36mm made up 4/12/4/12/4, the biggest was 44mm 4/16/4/16/4. You need confirmation in writing that they've fitted 6mm glass, then you need to get a glass thickness gauge and check what you have. They're saying 6mm double glazed is more efficient than triple........but they were they willing to take the extra £700 off you for less efficient windows.....how the **** does that work? I think they've cocked up and are fobbing you off

Fensa cert just confirms they meet current regs which they probably do even at their worst but you haven't got what you paid for, you need a signed work order/confirmation, a verbal agreement wouldn't stand up in court, anyone could say 'I rang and some guy said yeah fit 6mm'

Sponsored Links
Fensa cert just confirms they meet current regs which they probably do even at their worst but you haven't got what you paid for, you need a signed work order/confirmation, a verbal agreement wouldn't stand up in court, anyone could say 'I rang and some guy said yeah fit 6mm'
Not sure who that was aimed at, if anyone in particular but I think the reference to it in the thread was just that he should have received one tis all.

looking at the picture you put up , I have every doubt that 6mm Glass has been used .... looks like 20mm Warm edge Spacer to me , so a 28mm Unit, which is std in most UPVC. And honestly with those size of frames I don't see why they used 6mm. I can only assume they were going to use 4/8/4/8/4 triple glazing , which would give literally no benefit over a 28mm A rated Unit, in fact running it through , a std 28mm Unit would give a u value of 1.2 ( 28mm unit using Pilkington K softcoat ) , 6mm glass unit , a u value of 1.2( 28mm Unit , using Pilkington K softcoat ) , and triple glazing ( 28mm unit using Pilkington K SOftcoat on one pane of the three ) u value 1.3. so yes 6mm offers a marginal better performance than triple glazed , but not double as cavity is reduced. And as i started this answer on , thats a 20mm spacer bar in that unit from what I can see , so I have very serious doubts thats 6mm glass, as the unit thickness would be 32mm, which std upvc isn't set up for

Disclaimer ... all the above U - values are calculated with Pilkington OPtifloat/ Pilkington K S , on 90 % fill of ARgon ( which will leak out! ) . There are other options of glass which could alter the U values. You would need the exact ' make up ' of the sealed unit to confirm the U value.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back