Tripling parking charges for SUV/heavy cars in Paris.

Reaction score
Country
France
Parisians have voted to triple parking charges - from €6 /hr to € 18 for cars exceeding 1 600 kg ( 2 000 kg for EV ). This is basically for non-residents as residents, taxis, emergency vehicles, tradesmen and handicapped will be exempt. This was decided by referendum of Paris residents with only 6% participation and carried by 55% to 45%: the low turnout is attributed to the measures not directly affecting residents..

No details yet how such cars will be identified and I was surprised to find out that there is at least one variant of my car - Opel Vectra C - than just tips over the limit.

The idea is already getting positive reactions in some German cities - although Khan has said it is not on the table for London ( presumably doesn't want the blame for losing Starmer the election :LOL: )

What are your opinions ? I'm not terribly against it as I think cars are getting stupidly big, however- without having checked out lots of car weights - I think the weight is a bit low and ,maybe 1 700 to 1 800 would be more appropriate. FYI LR Evoque 1 790, BMW X3 1 875, ( both minimum weights )

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Parisians have voted to triple parking charges - from €6 /hr to € 18 for cars exceeding 1 600 kg ( 2 000 kg for EV ). This is basically for non-residents as residents, taxis, emergency vehicles, tradesmen and handicapped will be exempt. This was decided by referendum of Paris residents with only 6% participation and carried by 55% to 45%: the low turnout is attributed to the measures not directly affecting residents..

No details yet how such cars will be identified and I was surprised to find out that there is at least one variant of my car - Opel Vectra C - than just tips over the limit.

The idea is already getting positive reactions in some German cities - although Khan has said it is not on the table for London ( presumably doesn't want the blame for losing Starmer the election :LOL: )

What are your opinions ? I'm not terribly against it as I think cars are getting stupidly big, however- without having checked out lots of car weights - I think the weight is a bit low and ,maybe 1 700 to 1 800 would be more appropriate. FYI LR Evoque 1 790, BMW X3 1 875, ( both minimum weights )

I can see why they'd want to do something along those lines, but it's hastily created legislation, born out of spite, and a desire to appease a mob. As a result, it throws up anomalies that will end up with them shooting themselves in the foot. For example, it would now mean that a Peugeot 308 petrol hybrid has to pay 3 x the parking fee as a Peugeot 308 diesel. It's pretty obvious that's not what they were trying to incentivise, but that sort of thing will be the effect.

Last edited:
The initial stories I read only contained the broad outlines and subsequent ones have fleshed in out and it's even more restrictive/expensive

1) Maximum time allowed 6 hours
2) The charges increase after 2 hours, and 6 hours will cost you E 225 ( £ 195 )
3) No charges 20h - 09h

Initial stories also talked about different charges inside/outside Paris - which I took to be inside/outside Peripherique - and this refers to inner and outer Paris arrondissements. The charges quoted above will apply to 1er- 11e arr., and 12 e - 20 e will cost 1/3 less:: basic hourly-charge E 12.

These really are stonking costs, so I'm sure there will be a thriving black market in Parisians selling their parking rights to non-Parisians ( depending how tight the regulation will be on addresses, cars registered to that address etc )

What does everyone suggest to improve traffic flow and reduce gridlock in major cities?

What does everyone suggest to improve traffic flow and reduce gridlock in major cities?
The question is more, I think, whether we should do anything about it? It's self-limiting. If people get fed up sitting in traffic, enough to use the alternatives, they will. All we can do, is provide better alternatives.

The question is more, I think, whether we should do anything about it? It's self-limiting. If people get fed up sitting in traffic, enough to use the alternatives, they will. All we can do, is provide better alternatives.

You mean wait till it becomes Bangalore style gridlock?

You mean wait till it becomes Bangalore style gridlock?

Yes.

Of course, it won't, because if it was going to do that, it would have done so by now, (we've had cars in the West for longer than they have in Bangalore). The equilibrium point will be different for each city, depending on how good the alternatives are. That's what I mean by self-regulating.

Yes.

Of course, it won't, because if it was going to do that, it would have done so by now, (we've had cars in the West for longer than they have in Bangalore). The equilibrium point will be different for each city, depending on how good the alternatives are. That's what I mean by self-regulating.

You haven't taken into account externalities like pollution and the cost of gridlock.

Might as well wait till you have a heart attack before you stop it. Absurd logic.

You haven't taken into account externalities like pollution and the cost of gridlock.

Might as well wait till you have a heart attack before you stop it. Absurd logic.

No, you're just moving the goalposts. You started off talking about congestion, and now you're talking about pollution. Depending on whether you've read the EV threads or not, you may or may not know that I'm a keen EV fan. I'm actually very keen to tackle pollution.

No, you're just moving the goalposts. You started off talking about congestion, and now you're talking about pollution. Depending on whether you've read the EV threads or not, you may or may not know that I'm a keen EV fan. I'm actually very keen to tackle pollution.

No you are wrong. Learn about externalities. Congestion is an externality but I doubt you even knew that.

What is this absurd equilibrium point? What is it measuring and how do you measure it?

Sponsored Links
Back