tripping at immersion heater

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Electric has been tripping when immersion timer starts operating in morning.
One year ago I had a similar problem with a new B&Q timer. Only found out it was timer after wasting my time checking the immersion element was OK. Got my money back and put in a homebase electronic timer. Now its hapened again !

Silly question : Is there an easy way to find out this time which item is at fault ? For example, if I disconnect the wires from the immersion leaving them bare, and keep the timer running, --- presumably the timer would continue running if OK. Am I correct

Sponsored Links
Is it an RCD or MCB tripping?

A timers unlikely to have a fault. I'd test the element resistance first, You're look for about 17ohms L-N and something very high LN-E

Its the RCD that is tripping.
And, it was the timer that was faulty last time !!

If you do disconnect the immersion heater, put the cores into a connector block, otherwise you will have bare live cables next to earthed copper.

You could also use the connectors to remove the timer from the circuit, to check immersion heater without the timer.

Nick.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back