Tripping problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In my meter box there is also a separate consumer unit for the garage electrics,there is only i light and I double plug in the garage and nothing left plugged in,the supply has never been very strong and trying to charge 2 electric bikes will trip it out,recently the garage has been tripping out overnight I thought I had found the problem by removing the LED bulb which seemed to cure the problem but it tripped again lastnight,I’ve checked the plugs and the light switch,could it be the consumer unit? And why would that supply overload when Ime charging the bikes.
Many thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
You will need to state what is tripping - MCB, RCBO or RCD - or provide a photo of the thing which is tripping.

Attachments

• 4C5721BE-B300-4A69-A0B7-D519D646D3E6.jpeg
    4C5721BE-B300-4A69-A0B7-D519D646D3E6.jpeg
    277 KB · Views: 67
In my meter box there is also a separate consumer unit for the garage electrics,there is only i light and I double plug in the garage and nothing left plugged in,the supply has never been very strong and trying to charge 2 electric bikes will trip it out,recently the garage has been tripping out overnight I thought I had found the problem by removing the LED bulb which seemed to cure the problem but it tripped again lastnight,I’ve checked the plugs and the light switch,could it be the consumer unit? And why would that supply overload when Ime charging the bikes.
Many thanks in advance

Attachments

• A34CCA60-E95F-4E46-AF73-9347544CB0F7.jpeg
    A34CCA60-E95F-4E46-AF73-9347544CB0F7.jpeg
    277 KB · Views: 40
Sponsored Links
My e-bikes do not use much power to re-charge, typical recharge graph.
Bike_recharge_curve.jpg
So around 125 watts peak usage, so unlikely to overload a 20 amp MCB, and both my bikes use a class II charger so also unlikely to trip a RCD.

You have not yet said if the RCD or MCB is tripping, I would guess the larger unit to right the RCD, but neither e-bikes or light should cause this.

My e-bikes do not use much power to re-charge, typical recharge graph. View attachment 264580 So around 125 watts peak usage, so unlikely to overload a 20 amp MCB, and both my bikes use a class II charger so also unlikely to trip a RCD.

You have not yet said if the RCD or MCB is tripping, I would guess the larger unit to right the RCD, but neither e-bikes or light should cause this.
Before I replaced the faulty LED light in the garage both tripped out

If you know what you are doing, and can do it safely ,then you can . As it may not be a problem with the MCB ,it would make more sense to engage an electrician to diagnose what the cause is.
As you have given us further information ,re : the RCD also tripped, that would indicate issues other than the MCB itself.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back