Tripping programmer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a Potterton EP3000 programmer about 15yrs old. My problem is that when you push the manual override to bring the heating on it blows the 3amp fuse in the spur, if you bring the heating on via clock it also blows same fuse? Central heating not used over summer? The hot water is fine? Is it the programmer shorting or something else causing it to blow fuse ? :rolleyes:

Cheers

Ray

Sponsored Links
depends on the system.. you say the hw is ok? is it on a gravity hw pumped heating? if so its more likely to be the pump

gas_man_gaz said:
depends on the system.. you say the hw is ok? is it on a gravity hw pumped heating? if so its more likely to be the pump

Mmmm, Old style water/heating with tanks in roof and storage/boiler in airing cupboard. Do you think it requires new pump Or is just stuck causing extra load on fuse? ttThanks for promp reply.

could do with knowing what boiler ya got and a bit more about ya system.. if ya look in airing cupboard with the cylinder the pump is norm there, can ya see any valves near it? and norm if its blowing fuse's the part will need replacing or its got water on the electrics

Sponsored Links
Still looking for help..
Tried moving motorised valve to manual position, heard the syncro moving and then the 3amp fuse popped.. I'm thinking that a new motor would sort this out?

Why do you seem reluctant to take the advice that it is likely to be your pump?

When the synchron motor moves it is drawing current so would pop the fuse then.

The pump will only cut in when the valve microswitch makes it live.

Try disconnecting the live and neutral to the pump and prove it one way or the other.

gas4you said:
Why do you seem reluctant to take the advice that it is likely to be your pump?

When the synchron motor moves it is drawing current so would pop the fuse then.

The pump will only cut in when the valve microswitch makes it live.

Try disconnecting the live and neutral to the pump and prove it one way or the other.

Thanks..I'm thinking the pump works for the hot water without popping the fuse so why would the pump be faulty? or am i just thick?

windnwaves said:
Thanks..I'm thinking the pump works for the hot water without popping the fuse so why would the pump be faulty? or am i just thick?

You gotta good point there if it's a fully pumped system!

However if it's a gravity dhw system, pump would still be the main suspect.

:D Yep purchased new syncron motor £9.40, installed it and hit the CH :D ...
SORTED, job's a goodun.
Thankyou for all the advice..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back