Tripping under load?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If I plug more than three appliences in at the same time in my loft, it trips the circuit.
At a uneducated guess I think the load is to much causing this to happen? Can I get a more powerful consumer unit so this will not happen as the joint boxes are now under a tiled floor which I can not access without massive amounts of work?

Sponsored Links
"joint boxes are now under a tiled floor which I can not access without massive amounts of work"

That's why we advise against junction boxes where they will be inaccessible.

What is the thing that "trips out"? What is written on it (all the letters and numbers please) and what do you have to do to reset it?

It trips from the consumer unit under the stairs.
If I unplug one item up in the loft or turn something off in the loft, I just have to switch the switch under the stairs back on and everything is ok.
It only trips this one circuit nothing else is affected.I can not get you the number and letters untill I finish work (JohnD) all I know its the third switch in on the main consumer unit rail under the stairs.
Can I plug a bigger (not in size but power) switch to stop this tripping?
So it can take more load?

No you can't without knowing much more about the circuit.

As John said, we need to know the details of the MCB.

Anybody want a 50p bet that the loft power is on the lighting circuit?

Sponsored Links
Odds on favourite pensdown, and the total load exceds the 6 amp mcb.

cynics all of you.. it's obviously a spur taken off the back of the 16A immersion switch... :LOL:

3 things plugged in.. doesn't say what 3 things...

1x 3KW electric heater.. 2x 400W "grow lamps.." :rolleyes:

Good point Coljack, need more info.... the suspense is nailbiting. :rolleyes:

Pensdown the power is on the lighting circuit :confused: I have established that because the lights go out also when it trips.
Now what am I going to do? :cry: the tiles are down in the loft I can not take them up.
Until we moved into the loft I only used the odd power tool or the vacuum cleaner so I thought everything was fine :( only when the Tv /Radio etc.. were plugged in together I found this problem. :mad:
I can access one junction box under the floor if that helps.
Can you imagine my Missus :evil: :evil:

even as a DIY'er I'm gonna give you a :eek: Being able to access a JB is really not gonna solve your problems.

Pensdown the power is on the lighting circuit :confused: I have established that because the lights go out also when it trips.
Now what am I going to do? :cry: the tiles are down in the loft I can not take them up.
Until we moved into the loft I only used the odd power tool or the vacuum cleaner so I thought everything was fine :( only when the Tv /Radio etc.. were plugged in together I found this problem. :mad:
I can access one junction box under the floor if that helps.
Can you imagine my Missus :evil: :evil:

Youre a bit stuffed- sockets have no place on the lighting circuit, which tends to be a 6 amp fuse / MCB.
Lighting is always a low fuse rating due to the wire core size- so you can't just add a larger fuse, and if you do you could overload the circuit and burn out the wiring.

Most lofts are unable to use all the floor space due to the eves, if you have access to the eves (be it one side-cause the other has a dormer or both due to no dormer) you mau have some scope for new wiring feed behind the stud wall that tends to seperate the eve from the main loft room.

I'd call out a sparks for a quote for either a new 20amp radial circuit or extending the 1st floor ring upwards or running in a new ring entirely.

All are dependant on the fuse board / CU have spare positions, the cable route between the CU and the loft area and your acceptance that trunking might be necessary to 'hide' the cable runs since the void between 1st floor ceiling and loft floor seems like an unlikely useable cable route

thanks Chri5,

I think I'll extend the 1st floor circuit its only 4 more sockets in the loft.
I can get behind the eve on one side to feed the first socket the rest are already done.
I will have to use trunking down the wall in the bedroom to the socket and get the feed from there.
Question the cable that is on the lighting circuit at the moment thats feeding the socket as we speak I cant get to the JB thats under the tiled floor. Whats the best way to cap this off? Can I use PVC Tape on the cores that I will remove from the said socket? Is this Safe.

Thanks once again starting to feel alot better now :oops:

thanks Chri5,

I think I'll extend the 1st floor circuit its only 4 more sockets in the loft.
I can get behind the eve on one side to feed the first socket the rest are already done.
I will have to use trunking down the wall in the bedroom to the socket and get the feed from there.

If the wall is a stud wall or plaster & lath you can normally drop cable down the gap (via a string with some weight- nuts, bolt or penny washers on it)

Question the cable that is on the lighting circuit at the moment thats feeding the socket as we speak I cant get to the JB thats under the tiled floor. Whats the best way to cap this off? Can I use PVC Tape on the cores that I will remove from the said socket? Is this Safe.

Thanks once again starting to feel alot better now :oops:

I'd suggest that you terminate them on to choc blocks and then insulate them. It's not an ideal solution, since these wires will be live and redundant.

Might be better terminated on a round 5a jb pushed behind the new fitting and marked up with signage indicating they are part of the lighting circuit and surplus to requirements. I'd also note the matter in a housekeeping book for your record / future owners.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back