Tritan Shower Overflow Problem?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone, I have a Triton Madrid electric shower which is around 12 years old and the overflow is leaking. I thought there might be a kink in the hose, so I replaced both hose and head but with no success. This only happens when I lift the shower head parallel or nearly parallel to the shower, if I lower the head towards the shower floor it stops overflowing. (I could shower while sitting down I suppose?)
I read elsewhere on this forum that the heater can may need replacing in a situation like this, but the Triton website says the part has been discontinued.
If a new shower is needed is it a manageable job? Many Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Electric showers don't have overflows. What exactly are you referring to ,could it be the pressure relief valve ? Small tube low down near shower bottom ?

Yes, next to the hose outlet.
IMG_20230303_142554_437.jpg

Although you can get a replacement PRV ,the cause of them intervening is due to back pressure. That can be due to the shower head blocked partially with Limescale ,the shower hose kinked internally ,or a build up of Limescale within the shower. At 12 years old I would probably opt for a new shower.

Sponsored Links
It has only started to happen since I removed the shower head to descale it, a new head & hose hasn't solved the problem so a new shower maybe the only option.

How easy is the PRV to replace? Looking at diagrams it seems there are just two screws?

yes easy install. but you need to find what caused it or it'll blow straight away
you can fix a prd providing you have the rubber ball that has blown out, they can be pushed back in.

I removed the shower cover and the PRD, there is a membrane cover that has blown. This now makes sense as the problem has only surfaced since I replaced the original shower head which, along with a possible kink in the old hose, must have been forcing the water back? I have ordered 2 PRD's (which include the rubber covers) from the Triton website for around £11. Thanks very much for your advice and I will let you know how I get on.

You should ideally replace with manufacturers hose and shower head ,suitable for your model. Internal hose diameters vary ,as do showerheads.

Yes, the original shower head & the new hose are both Triton.

run the shower with new hose and prd first. all ok then fit head and try again.

all should be ok

I replaced a 18 year old Mira Sport with a Triton T80 Fast-Fit, the Mira had no PRD but the Triton does, I think both are rated for 10 bar static but wonder why the Mira had no PRD as I wouldn't fancy seeing its heating can subjected to very high pressures, wonder what pressure does the PRD operate.

Spoke too soon, on inspection, the Mira does have a PRD, its a little rubber ball inside the heating can, see photo of the opened heating can with heating elements removed and a photo of the rubber ball removed from the can.

Attachments

• Mira Heating Can with PRD.jpg
    Mira Heating Can with PRD.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 36
  • Mira PRD Rubber Ball.jpg
    Mira PRD Rubber Ball.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back