Triton Opal shower hot cold

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My Triton Opal shower has just started to go from very hot to cold - is there anything I can do to fix it myself?

thanks

Sponsored Links
check the tco on the outlet pipe first for blackened connections they are quite common to fail on the opel.

is that the thermal fuse? I'll have a look later, thanks. if it is that would it be an expensive repair and could i do it myself?

thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi,

My Triton Opal shower has just started to go from very hot to cold - is there anything I can do to fix it myself?

thanks

Do you hear a click when it goes from hot to cold?

If so, then it's probably the low pressure cut-out. This could mean one of two things:

• Your water pressure is dropping
    Your shower is mis-reading the pressure

Try running a cold tap at full, does the water flow quite quickly?
If not, it's probably a pressure/flow rate problem which I can't help you with.

The more likely problem is that your shower isn't reading the pressure correctly - it's a common fault on this model.

As the water comes in to the shower there should be some kind of pressure valve that lifts a plunger when the water flows. This plunger then presses a tiny electronic switch which tells the shower that you have enough pressure. This switch is on a little L-shaped piece of aluminium which can tend to get bent out of shape. Try bending it back into shape as a first step.

Some users have solved this issue by glueing a tiny bit of matchstick to the top of the plunger - it may just help the connection enough to press the switch.

If all this fails, then you may need a new circuit board - they cost about £5 less than a new shower BTW.

THE FOLLOWING IS HOW I FIXED MY SHOWER - I DO NOT RECOMMEND IT TO ANYONE ELSE, IT'S JUST HERE FOR INFO:

I ended up taking off the circuit board, removing the switch and soldering across the two points where the switch was located. This way my shower always thinks it has enough pressure.
The downside of this is that I have to switch the shower off if there really is a major drop in pressure as otherwise it'll get very hot and the heating element may burn out.

check the tco on the outlet pipe first for blackened connections they are quite common to fail on the opel.

I think it's this rather than the water pressure as there's no click and it's not affected by other taps etc.

Just took the outside off but there are no obvious blackened connections. The TCO on this model seems to sit at the top from what I can find out, is that right? There's lots of dust inside for some reason.

Would you just recommend replacing the TCO anyway?

thanks

Right, there are no blackened connections on either TCO. I've checked the filter on the inlet pipe, that also looks fine.

Just after I posted last time, the water started coming out the outlet pipe instead. That's still the case.

:mad:

Any ideas?

do you mean the clear tube behind the main hose ?

did you try running the shower without the head on like i said ?

yes, the clear tube. Just taken the head off, water comes out of the shower pipe, but also out the clear tube at the same time. The low pressure light isn't on, but is this a problem with pressure?

thanks for persevering :)

you've activated the prd (pressure relief device)
thats useally due to a blocked shower head or collapsed inner shower hose.
which also can be the problem of your shower going hot/cold

once the PRD has been activated, does it need replacing?

Water was still flowing out through the PRD after took the hose off at the base of the shower unit. Both the hose and the shower head are fairly new, much newer than the unit.

Is there anything else which could trigger the PRD and the change in temperature?

thanks

new prd unless you have the ball that came out of it. which i doubt.

the showerhead is it a original triton opel one ?
as most of these cheapos from bq are not any good.
they ever restrict the flow or cause problems.

get so many that have changed showerheads and caused the prd or shower to overheat.

try stick with a triton showerhead.

I wasn't in the shower at the time so didn't notice the ball.

The showerhead is Triton, but I vaguely remember the hose wasn't. Have ordered new PRD & new Triton hose anyway, and will also descale showerhead. Sounds like too much of a coincidence - was changed 4 months ago.

Fingers crossed!

thanks

hi, just wanted to say thanks for your help - I descaled the shower head, and replaced the PRD and fingers crossed all is back to normal!

so thank you - wouldn't have had the confidence to do it otherwise, but now I feel I'm on very good terms with my Triton Opal
:D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back