Triton shower running hot and cold

s79

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Triton Enrich 8.7kwh Electric shower which is running hot and cold.

So typically it runs as normal for a few minutes, gets a little bit hotter then it should, goes cold for about 20-30 sec, then back to hot for about 40sec and repeats.

This started happening suddendly about a week ago. However it can be sparodic. Sometimes it happens only once in 5 min shower, Not sure if time of day or length of use has anything to do with it?

I soaked the shower head in vinegar which did seem to help initially and stopped happening but its now returned.

But Im 'fairly' certain it has nothing to do with the toliet flushing, washing machine running etc as its happened whilst i've been at home alone.

What can this be? I read in in another post about the "stoptap(s)" and turning it full on to increase the flow - what/where is this (sorry bit of a newbie)

Sponsored Links
Triton make very poor quality procucts and have an appaling lack of after sales service. I fitted one of their shower pumps for a customer and it lasted only four days. That cost me about £300 to replace it and fit it at the weekend.

It sounds as if your shower is overheating. You should try to set it so there is more flow.

Tony

Triton make very poor quality procucts and have an appaling lack of after sales service. I fitted one of their shower pumps for a customer and it lasted only four days. That cost me about £300 to replace it and fit it at the weekend.

It sounds as if your shower is overheating. You should try to set it so there is more flow.

Tony

Thanks Agile
Are you refering to the stoptaps when you saw increase flow?

There are a few reasons why it can cycle on the tco.

stopcock/isolation valve not fully open.
showerhead blocked/ restricted. try running without showerhead.
shower hose damaged/colapseing inner hose.
inlet filter scaled. try cleaning it.

Sponsored Links
Its located in 13 on the pic.
Remove the supply feed compression and its a plastic gauze filter inside the plastic tube at the base of the solenoid valve.

Page 17 FIG 24
TRITON ENRICH

Just try properly cleaning the head with Hydrochloric acid as that may well be all it needs.

You can buy it for about £2 as Spriits of Salt in independent shops.

Supermarkets will not stock it for safety reasons.

Use eye protection and rubber gloves.

Tony

Thanks for all the replies guys.

I will have a look at the inlet filter in a mo.

Actually ive just used the shower, not fun! :cry: As i test though I ran the shower afterwards without the shower head attached and it seemed to working! :) but then after about five minutes the hot/cold pattern returned :(

Does that safely assume its not the shower head?

Poss the showerhead isn't helping the situation as you say it was ok for a period of time.
was the hose hang straight down all the time you tested it ?
as i said before the inner hose can collapse with age and sometimes it can be after a time that the hot water has been running through it and it softens the hose and the internal bore restricts.

check the inlet filter first then go from there.

So checked the inlet filter, looked pretty clean to me, got a cottun bud to make sure, and the end of the bud looked clean after wiping the inside of it.

Tested it again without shower head and this time with hose running straight down this time (previous attempt there was a 30-45 degree bend in it) and ran it for 5min without a problem, although it kinda felt like it was cycling between expected temperature->slighty hotter->expected temperature->slighty hotter and so on and so on...but i may have been imagining this!

So is it looking like hose and/or shower head thats the cuplrit?

You may be able to measure the flow rate with the hose on and the hose off and see if they are widely different.

Tony

I have read the forums to this common problem with Triton showers.

I have tried some of the suggestions, adjusting the water pressure switch, changing C3 with no success.

I examined all the soldering carefully to look for poor connections - they all seemed OK.

However after trying everything else I decided to reheat and add solder to every joint on the circuit board (with it off the shower of course). It took about 15 minutes - you need a hot soldering iron with a small tip and multiflux solder - thinnish is better.

It is not difficult but do not take too long on any point as it can damage the board or components underneath - though to be honest most of them are not too sensitive.

I did not expect any difference - but put it back together and it run perfectly. Triton is well known for poor soldering.

The symptoms for my shower was oscillating between full heat, cold, half heat in random order - but I could hear the relays clicking on and off before it had any time to be too hot etc.

Poor soldering may cause other symptoms.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back