Triton Shower Wattage?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I'm looking at having this ancient unit replaced. I want to replace it with a model of the same wattage. The sticker on the bottom has worn away. I took the cover off and found a sticker saying it's 7.8-8.5KW. Does this mean it's 8.5KW? I have tried google searches but it's so old I can find much apart from they made this model with different power options. Any help would be great!

IMG_1769.JPGIMG_1770.JPGUntitled.jpg

Sponsored Links
It's probably reflecting the fact that mains voltage is 230-240V.

It takes a fixed current, the wattage depends on the actual voltage.

Whatever though, the starting point should be to measure (or read) the cable diameter. Don't assume that it was installed with the correct cable, many aren't. Check the breaker rating at the fusebox and the overall load of the house. You may find out it needs replacing or, alternatively, you may find it's capable of having a higher rated shower installed for a less trickly experience.

Whatever though, the starting point should be to measure (or read) the cable diameter. Don't assume that it was installed with the correct cable, many aren't. Check the breaker rating at the fusebox and the overall load of the house. You may find out it needs replacing or, alternatively, you may find it's capable of having a higher rated shower installed for a less trickly experience.

Or check it on the IHD of your smart meter, if you have such.

Sponsored Links
It has a fixed resistance. The current and Wattage depend on the voltage
The resistance will vary with the temperature of the wire. Resistance increases as the temperature rises, whether this change of resistance is large enough to be significant will depend on several things,

The resistance will vary with the temperature of the wire. Resistance increases as the temperature rises, whether this change of resistance is large enough to be significant will depend on several things,
Oh dear.

Which wire temperature do you think the manufacturer uses for the quoted Wattage (and current if stated)?

It takes a fixed current, the wattage depends on the actual voltage.

Not quite - current and wattage are dependent on the voltage applied, and resistance of the element. Assuming the resistance stays the same, increasing the applied voltage, will increase both watts and current.

All bets are off, if it uses a fancy control system, to regulate the temperature.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back