Trouble Finding leak in Roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya guys

Went to a job today to see a leak in a kitchen, The roof is about 20 degrees, small roof about 3 x 6 kinda things, small porch kitchen, It has 14 * 8 welsh slates. The main door is sited on the gable end of this porch and the previous roofer install a zinc flashing along the gable edge.

Recently out of nowhere, the roof started leaking in very heavy rain. When I visited it was p*ssing down the wall. I have replaced a few damaged slates on the roof, and the customer reported back that it wasn't as bad now, it went from a constant drip to a drip every 10 mins or so nxt heavy rain.

I visited him for a 2nd time and thought I would put a bead of mastic down the edge of the slates / zinc flashing to see if it was getting in under the slates from the scotch roll on the zinc.

We had heavy rain again last night and the customer has called back again to say the wall is damp.

The only other thing I can think of for a fix is to remove the zinc flashing?

Anyone else have any other ideas?

The roof was replaced about 4 - 5 years ago by someone else, but they didn't give any garantee. The customer is an OAP so don't really want to charge him heavily for removing slates & zinc if there could be another fix

Sponsored Links
Just to clarify!!!

The customer asked for the mastic to rule out the zinc as he doesn't want this removed. I followed what he asked and used mastic when the zinc meets the slates!!

Been back @ job today and started removing some slates, noticed that the zinc had a small split @ the edge under the slate.

Case Closed

Its always easier giving a diagnosis if pics are provided coolcat.

Anyway you found the problem well done. ;)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back