Broken slates on roof after roofer...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hope someone can help..

Going to try to keep this to the point as there's a lot of detail that will end up dragging on..

Had roofer round, he broke slates from walking on our roof whilst he was up there repointing a couple of skews (never used roofing ladders)
He's denying the fact even though someone who was working in the property at the time heard him "crunching around".
Slates fallin away all over the place exposing the sarking boards and water dripping in.

We are in the process of renovating the property and the roofer has held us up long enough.. I have to replace or repair these myself in the next couple of days to try and avoid damage to new plasterboard insulation etc etc

I have replaced a couple a few days ago with some slates the roofer had left.. Most are fine but one is raised up slightly. Is this because of the thickness of the slate? It also seemed a little shorter than the old ones I was placing it beside .. The slates he left were about 16x10in but were a bit shorter than the ones on the roof..is this a problem?

Can anyone advise what size of slates I should be buying? And what thickness?
Most of the repairs ar at the top of the roof and a few are under the zinc(or tin?) ridge.. Any advice on repairing these as I presume the ridge will need to come off?

Any help really is appreciated

some photos of a small area of damage prior to repair but can try and get photos tomorrow of the "after"

View media item 72447 View media item 72448 View media item 72449

Sponsored Links
Slate roofing is best left to roofers who know them well.

A house can have a wide range of slate thickness fitted but what happens is the slates are graded before fixing with the thicker ones fitted low down and thinner ones at the top.

Whilst a slightly shorter slate may be OK the double lap must be maintained. The gauge of a roof is the distance between each course so your slates are always 2x gauge +the head lap long

My advise is get a better roofer in. - The last one was just a cowboy

Slate roofing is best left to roofers who know them well.

A house can have a wide range of slate thickness fitted but what happens is the slates are graded before fixing with the thicker ones fitted low down and thinner ones at the top.

Whilst a slightly shorter slate may be OK the double lap must be maintained. The gauge of a roof is the distance between each course so your slates are always 2x gauge +the head lap long

My advise is get a better roofer in. - The last one was just a cowboy

Thanksf for your reply and advice.

Yeah I remember someone telling me that it goes from thick to thin..
Nightmare problem is that we have spent all our money on this roofer (as extras crept in) and still have a leaking property so unsure what to do as he is claiming it could have been someone else!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back