Selling slates

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I'm about to get my slate roof re-done with Redland tiles. I asked the roofer what he plans to do with the old slates, and he says that any in decent condition will be salvaged and used on any future repair jobs he may need to do on other properties.

I was just wondering if there's a market for old slates. If so, would I be better asking the roofer to leave the old slates with me, and selling them on myself? And who would likely buy them off me?

thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Yes, old slates are very saleable.
If the roofer has mentioned keeping the old slates in his quote then they are his, if not, they are yours if you want them.
Problem is, if you make a fuss and say you want to keep them he can say that it will take him longer to get them off in one piece, so charge you more, or, if he isn't gaining anything from it, he will just pull them off any old how and they will be useless and you may end up paying more for another skip. Either way, you lose!
If you are happy with the roofer and his price it may not be worth causing bad feeling from the start.

He might add a charge to carry them down for you, otherwise he just aswell skip them.

I should let him keep the slates rather than make it awkward!!!

& then have a nice job done!

Craig

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice.

If I was to keep the slates, does anyone know who would buy them off me? A roofing/builders merchant maybe? And how much would I be likely to get for a decent number of slates?

Thanks again

Any advice gratefully received.

I've got a 3 bed terrace and about 50% of the slates look to be in decent condition. Are the slates likely to be worth much? I'm not after an accurate figure, but just a rough guide (ie are we talking £20 or £30, or are we talking a hundred or possibly a couple of hundred?).

Just want to know whether I need to renegotiate a price with the roofer in view of the fact that he's getting the old slates.

Cheers

you need to tell us if removing the old tiles for disposal is part of the quote

i suspect he will walk away from the job if you say you want the tiles !!!

are you going to pay for the extra day or so labour required to carefuly remove the tiles and manhandle them safely down !!!

It depends on the condition, size, thickness.....
Have a look here
http://www.bethesdaslate.co.uk/stock_full.php
They are selling reclaims from 35p each to £1.75 each.
So noone on here could possibly give you a figure.
Measure one and e-mail this company and see if they will give you a figure then you will have an idea.

if you have requested a quote detailing removal and disposal of the original fabric, and the contractors quote states as such, then any salvage is his.

he may have even factored re-selling the tiles as part of his profit margin.

Any advice gratefully received.

I've got a 3 bed terrace and about 50% of the slates look to be in decent condition. Are the slates likely to be worth much? I'm not after an accurate figure, but just a rough guide (ie are we talking £20 or £30, or are we talking a hundred or possibly a couple of hundred?).

Just want to know whether I need to renegotiate a price with the roofer in view of the fact that he's getting the old slates.

Cheers
Architectural salvage yards buy them, as has been said by others, if the slates have to be doublehandled ie carried down from the roof and then checked, rather than thrown down into the skip there would be no incentive for the roofer to keep them if it means your are going to charge for them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back