Paramo Prime Spanish slates - feedback requested

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear Forum Members,

What do you think about "Paramo Prime Spanish slates"?

I am about to get the slates of my house's roof replaced (in addition to a couple of other roof-related jobs). The tiles right now are Welsh natural slate and are probably as old as the house itself (~120 years).

I have spoken with multiple roofers and have received multiple quotations. The roofer I liked the most (criteria being his knowledge, patience, flexibility to suit my requirements, price, availability, quality of responses to my questions, detail and quality of quotation and feedback on the website where I found him) was the only roofer who encouraged me to stick with natural slate. He was upfront and remarked that while Welsh slate was the best it was also the most expensive and out of my price range. He recommended that I go with "Paramo Prime Spanish slates" that are good enough and within my price range.

What do you think about "Paramo Prime Spanish slates"? The quarry claims that the slate tiles will last at least 70 years. I have not been able to find any material on the Internet about these slates... the only mention being on websites that sell them.

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
What's wrong with the welsh slate coming off??? Spanish is not a patch on welsh, surely for the roofer to re use the welsh and buy Make up slates is cheaper than buying Spanish for the full roof??

Take a picture of your roof as it stands now and let us see if the slates need replacing.

Sponsored Links
Take a picture of your roof as it stands now and let us see if the slates need replacing.

^^ this, every time. If the slates are original they have only one set of nail holes and if removed with care will be much better than anything else you can source. Although Welsh slate may be expensive if you only have to buy 5 or 10% of the total to replace ones that are already damaged and any that get broken on removal, then it's still the best deal.

Used Welsh slates are easy to sell and presumably your roofer has offered to take the old ones away and use it as part payment for the job?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back