Solar panels on slated roof - unwise?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I am having an extension done with 35 degree sloped roof which was originally going to be slated. I know Welsh slate is the one to go for, but out of my budget, so I am looking to go for Spanish slate. My biggest concern is that any solar installer will just trample and crack most of the slates during panel/pipe install, leaving me to try an patch things up. And I can imagine with further servicing visits, I will have further headaches with cracked tiles. I wil have a breather membrane under the tiles, but still don't want any damaged tiles.

1) Are there any ways to minimise damage?
2) Has anyone used imitation/synthetic slate roofing? (I'm thinking to use that one the aspect of the roof that will hold the panels. The other roofs will have genuine slates, and most of the imitation slated roof aspect will be covered in panes in any case). Do they look ok?

thanks in advance!

OB

Sponsored Links
My opinion, for what its worth, a roof should never be walked on unless absolutely necessary, ie roof repairs.

The amount of damage caused by aerial fitters for example is proof of this.

You could get it slated using slate hooks and then it will be easier to replace all the broken ones.

You could get it slated using slate hooks and then it will be easier to replace all the broken ones.

Thanks for the suggestion. I guess that would also give installers an excuse to break even more tiles if they see the hooks as they know the slates are easier to replace i.e. are less careful on teh roof.

I think my best approach would be to install synthetic tiles on this aspect of the roof and use real tiles on other sides of the roof.

Sponsored Links
You can get electric solar panels that look like slate tiles and actually sit in place of tiles. You can fit these as the roof goes on so no need for extra walking on.

c21e.jpg

I wish my pockets were deep enough for those integrated solar panels. I don't recall the specific cost, but I do recall that they are very expensive and substantially more than standalone panels. Someone correct me if I a wrong!

I'd also be looking at solar hot water panels in which case there's perhaps futility at spending $$$$$ for integrated PV if I get the hot water systems on the roof.

If you get PV you have the option to use an immersion heater.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back