Solar Panels on Slate tiled roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm considering getting solar hot water panels installed. House is early 1900s with slate tiles (no roof felt).

I've been in house for 15 years and despite dire warnings of some neighbours ("these roofs all need replacing"), I have found that a occasional small maintenance is ok. Ie keeping an eye out and every 2 or 3 years paying a roofer a small amount to tidy up fix odd tiles. I once spotted some light from the loft and successfully moved a tile back into position where it's stayed.

It occurs to me that tiles underneath a solar collector panel or evacuated tubes would make it much harder to access and repair loose/cracked tiles, with potential for damaging panels/tubes, or costly temporary removal of solar collectors for access.

Options I see are:

1) Fit solar panel/tube above roof and hope that tiles are ok.

2) As (1) but get roof tidied up first (without roof felt so tiles are accessible from loft).

3) As (2) but with roof felt (improving insulation and perhaps durability of roof?)

4) As (2 or 3) but fit solar collector flush on roof, replacing tiles in that area (with flashing up to collector).

What do people think?

Any horror stories about roofing problems under solar panels?

Sponsored Links
from what i read on here it will be an expensive job (the solar hot water panels) and you need to either change boiler or make drastic alterations.

I ask you do you think it is really worth it? cost v saving

if you live in scotland dont bother

I understand what needs to be done, and part of what prompted it was need to move (and therefore opportunity to replace) HW cylinder.

Not planning to do as money saving idea, as financial savings will be long term, but it will give me (as well as hot water) a warm feeling :)

I've already been quoted costs of around £2000-3000, which I agree is a lot, but suspect increasing energy prices, eco-awareness, etc will mean it may increase value (and/or saleability) of house significantly.

But to go back to my topic, I am interested in any roofing problems.

Sponsored Links
If your going to go down the road of solar panels it would be prudent to have a 1st class roof to put them on.

Using "SODS LAW" you and I know that as soon as you've handed over your money a dodgy roof is going to show its teeth. And then your going to have to fiddle about and dismantle the solar panels to fix the roof.

Get it fixed first is my humble advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back