Solar integrated roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our house needs a new roof. Currently rosemary tiles. But would like large format grey tiles (name?) two other houses in our street have done this.

Would like to integrate solar panels into the south facing side of the roof. Next door has the entire roof covered but theirs are on rails, in the usual rent a roof manner.

Screenshot_20220409-221556_Maps.jpg

I'd prefer mine integrated into the roof as I want the house to look sleek and modern. There will be more solar than tiles though, I want as much solar as I can fit on the roof.

My question is are the integrated solar systems any good in terms of longevity of weathertightness? I'm getting a new roof, I don't want it to start leaking in 5 years. Also if a panel fails, I'm guessing it is a much bigger job to change it and would have to be a certain type.

And given the amount of solar I want (similar to next door), would I be better going for a traditional rail system?

I'm an electrician, would a roofing company take care of the installation of solar panels on the roof if I supply all the gear? Or would they stop at fitting the brackets? I don't mind getting on the roof to do the rails and panels, I'll ask the roofers to book the scaffold for an extra few days.

Any advice welcome. Cheers.

Sponsored Links
The systems are as good as those who install them - done properly they will last for decades. Done badly and it could leak on day 1.

Replacement of a panel is no different to any other system, the only difference is that they are flush with the rest of the roof surface rather than being mounted above it.
A replacement panel would need to be the same physical size, but that applies to any other system - fitting one odd sized panel into a grid of others would either leave gaps if it was smaller, or it just won't fit if larger. The fact the panels are flush doesn't change that.

would a roofing company take care of the installation of solar panels on the roof if I supply all the gear?
Generally no, the panels would be installed onto the roof structure before the tiles/slates, with the rest of the roof completed afterwards.
This is a common system:
other types are available.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back