New roof options for solar PV installation

Hello everyone

Forgive me if the question of "solar panels as a primary roofing material" has been asked before, but...

Sometime next year I plan to replace the flat roof on my garage with an apex roof. The ridge will run roughly north to south.

Aside from potential planning issues about building upwards, and the dubious wisdom of placing PV panels on east/west facing slopes, I would like to look into the feasibility of covering both sides of the new roof with PV panels (instead of tiles).

I'm not in a conservation area, and I would be happy to have a standing seam roof, or even a corrugated 'tin' roof if there was a price/robustness advantage over traditional tiling. As I plan to cover the roof in PV cells anyway, why go to the expense of tiling it first if I'm going to cover it in PV solar panels?

I have seen the PV shingles that look like tiles, but I'm not worried about the aesthetics. Plus I think the cost of these shingles would be prohibitive.

Can I use large PV panels as the primary roofing surface instead, with a suitable weathertight supporting structure/membrane beneath?

I look forward to your answers and debate!

Sponsored Links
This is an interesting (well slightly) topic and indeed why go to the expense of a conventional roof finish and then cover it over with another layer. I have seen panels installed as a roof but I think they are installed into frames much like large rooflights rather than adjoined roofing panels.

I suspect using panels as roofing panels per se will become common place as it makes perfect sense, though this sector of the industry is really in its infancy at the moment.

There is still debate as to the payback of course.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back