Solar installer raised roof tiles - is this a problem?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

My roof has Redland Mini Stonewold roof tiles. I am having solar PV installed and the installer has gone round the roof and placed hooks everywhere.

However, every single tile with a hook is raised and does not now sit flush. I think this will lead to leaks or wind noise and potentially other damage.

Could any roofers and others let me know your thoughts on this and whether I am being over cautious? Thanks.

Attachments

• 20231016_181724.jpg
    20231016_181724.jpg
    329.2 KB · Views: 95
Sponsored Links
Hello

My roof has Redland Mini Stonewold roof tiles. I am having solar PV installed and the installer has gone round the roof and placed hooks everywhere.

However, every single tile with a hook is raised and does not now sit flush. I think this will lead to leaks or wind noise and potentially other damage.

Could any roofers and others let me know your thoughts on this and whether I am being over cautious? Thanks.
Garbage. Lazy garbage at that.

Sponsored Links
Can't add much to what the others have said, except it isn't professional to leave it like that.

Thanks I will be raising this with the installer.

One other question for people: within this video

The installer shows how he cuts notches in the tiles but also states that he raises the hook to ensure its not on the tile as otherwise it will causes the tile to crack.

Looking at the hooks my installer has placed down they seem to be on the tile too - have others had similar experience of tiles cracking due to this?

I can only imagine how many roof issues are created by some companies installing solar panels.

Are you having anti-Bird mesh fitted? Stops flying vermin from nesting under the panels.

Can’t say I’m surprised. The issues we had with solar panels (which admittedly we didn’t discover until we tried to sell the house) put us off them for life!

I lifted up one of the tiles and the solar installer only put one screw on the hook. The video I posted early states to put in a minimum of two. I will check what the MCS requirements are.

Diver Fred - yes having the bird mesh put round the panels.

Nope - what kind of issues have you experienced?

Attachments

• 20231018_105012.jpg
    20231018_105012.jpg
    555.4 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
I lifted up one of the tiles and the solar installer only put one screw on the hook. The video I posted early states to put in a minimum of two. I will check what the MCS requirements are.

In our case the issues were mainly because the Solar Panel owner was renting the roof from us. Basically meant that anyone who bought the house would be limited by which mortgage lenders would work with them. We also had an absolute nightmare trying to find out who the actual owner was as the company who installed them decided to cease trading.

We got everything sorted but it was a headache I’d rather not experience again.

Check the hook manufacturers instructions. Probably specs 3 fixings? Those tiles need grinding as you have mentioned...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back