using large interlocking tiles on a small lean to roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've given up on the idea of trying to reuse my rosemary tiles - I can't get the roof above 35 degrees (it's at 30) so I'm going to try to find some interlocking tiles.

If I use a large tile like the Redland Stonewold (430mm x 380mm) am I asking for trouble because it's a lean-to roof - will I need a huge depth of lead flashing because I'm unable to fit the correct ridge tiles?

http://www.roofapex.com/redland-stonewold-tile.html

As you can probably tell - I don't really know much about roof tiles. Does the interlocking mean they're completely waterproof in as much as they don't rely on the headlap to be waterproof in the same way as plain tiles.

Also, do I need to look for a tile that's compatible with my hip end - i.e. it can be cut with an angle grinder to give me the 45 degree / 30 degree angles I'll need, or do I look for matching interlocking bonnet tiles to deal with the hip?

Thanks

Gary

Sponsored Links
Stonewolds and all roof tiles rely on correct head laps..
You can cut them easily with and disc cutter/angle grinder
They dont make bonnets for stonewolds just use either a uni angle ridge or seg ridge which ever takes your fancy..

Re the lead detailing ..not sure what your meaning here? but if it's a leanto then a cover flashing will be required...

Thanks

Re the lead detailing ..not sure what your meaning here? but if it's a leanto then a cover flashing will be required...

The tiles are 430mm high. If the head lap is 75mm, then the first row of tiles has nothing underneath the first 355mm of tile, so my question is whether the interlocking joint is totally waterproof, and this initial run needs to be covered in lead flashing.

Having thought about it some more, this will be the case all the way down the roof, so I guess it's fine!

Gary

Sponsored Links
The tiles are 430mm high. If the head lap is 75mm, then the first row of tiles has nothing underneath the first 355mm of tile, so my question is whether the interlocking joint is totally waterproof, and this initial run needs to be covered in lead flashing.

Having thought about it some more, this will be the case all the way down the roof, so I guess it's fine!

Gary
You think too much Gary. :LOL:

Thanks Dave - the interlocking double plain tile looks like it could be a winner.

Gary

You can actually use a Marley Eternit single camber plain tile at 30 Degrees if you go by what they say (though code of practice states minimum 35 degrees).

If you want the clay look the Sandtoft 20/20 is a good bet. From our experience the Ashmore's being produced at the moment seem rather brittle (maybe we're just getting bad batches), Redland make a similar product, the Duoplain which would work just as well

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back