Lean to roof secret gutter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am currently constructing a lean to roof extension tiling with planum interlocking tiles as the roof pitch is 12.5° due to window placement above. I have read you must install a secret gutter at the abutment and was looking for some advice on this or if I even need one. Will just lead flashing be OK? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Low pitch flat tile as these will require secret gutter.

You can buy grp preformed SG which is easy fir DIY. The only tricky bit would be at gutter level and may require some lead depending on your gutter layout

Sponsored Links
Low pitch flat tile as these will require secret gutter.

You can buy grp preformed SG which is easy fir DIY. The only tricky bit would be at gutter level and may require some lead depending on your gutter layout
That's great, thanks for the reply. I suppose my confusion is how it would work. I understand how it would work for a side abutment but not overly sure how it would work on a lean to roof. Would I gutter across the abutment and then down the to the guttering at facia level? I am a roofing novice so thanks again

You use the secret gutter against the wall your tiles about to. Across the top of slope a flashing, lead or lead alternative .
At the bottom of the slope you would have a gutter of your choice . If the down pipe is near the secret gutter side it'll make fitting the secret gutter simpler with a small fascia notch.
Obviously you will also need to flash down the slope to weather the secret gutter .

Pretty easy job

You use the secret gutter against the wall your tiles about to. Across the top of slope a flashing, lead or lead alternative .
At the bottom of the slope you would have a gutter of your choice . If the down pipe is near the secret gutter side it'll make fitting the secret gutter simpler with a small fascia notch.
Obviously you will also need to flash down the slope to weather the secret gutter .

Pretty easy job
So just a secret gutter at the top then as there is no side abutment. Cheers for your help

? You said there was an abutment .. if not then just a flashing at the head of the slope

? You said there was an abutment .. if not then just a flashing at the head of the slope
Sorry for the confusion, I just mentioned I knew how the gutter would work if there was one. I didnt think it would need anything hence my confusion

So, where did you read that you needed a secret gutter at the top of the roof slope?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back