lead flashing on low pitch roof with interlocking tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Just finished tiling the extension roof and am now looking at fitting the lead flashing.

I've got code 4 lead, 300mm wide and need to fit this along the top abutment to the house, and then side sloping (18 degrees) abutment.

From my research, fitting the top abutment looks quite easy, however the side section needs more investigation.

I have fitted a secret gutter under the tiles on the side where it meets the existing house, but now I need to fit the flashing.

- Do I need to fit soakers? is this possible with interlocking tiles which I have ?

- I had planned on having the lead cover some part of the tiles, however as these are stepped, then how is the lead formed over these?

- Or should the lead work simply fit under the tiles allowing water to run into the secret gutter? in which case just fit the flashing as an upstand ?

thanks

Sponsored Links
Side abutment flashings on profiled interlocking tiles would normally lap over the first profile so that the lead was on the down slope over the first profile.

.With profiled interlocking tiles soakers are not needed nor is a secret gutter. As noseal said a cover flashing is all thats required

If you have fitted a secret gutter then soakers would not be required like wise a cover flashing will not be required. a simple step flashing weathering the secret gutter to the abuttment is all thats needed.

if the wall runs out and the channels of the tile run into the wall then a secret gutter is needed i would still put a flashing over it. lets surpose u have 49s u will have 2 channels in each tile put a cover flashing using 9 inch lead 4inches on the roof the other 5 inch up the wall but make sure the lead reaches into a channel on the tile .u do not use soakers 4 these tiles

Sponsored Links
Dont really follow, just to clarify, the tiles are interlocking, but installed in a half bond fashion (sandtoft 20/20). Sandtoft recommended the secret gutter which is installed. So should I just fit some lead flashing upstand and carry this onto the tiles. This would result in gaps surely at the steps between the overlapped tiles?

at the end of the day the choice is yours. You dont need soakers with 20 20s..(thats why you have a secret gutter) If you want to put a cover flashing over it thats fine and if you just want to use a simple step flashing thats fine too.. It makes no difference if the wall is running or not.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back