Does this quotation sound reasonable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 4m x 3m single storey pitched roof extension (1980s) and I am looking to get it re-tiled as there are a number of broken tiles etc.

I've had one quote at £1500 using reclaimed welsh slates and the other at £1850 using "natural slate to be decided" - no mention of Welsh or other. Both include replacing the battens, new membrane etc.

Does that sound reasonable? My budget cannot stretch that far so was thinking of either using fibre cement slates or perhaps Spanish slates. Any thoughts?

As its a small roof I was thinking of doing it myself. Any thoughts on this or is it a no go!

Thanks!
Tim

Sponsored Links
If there is scaffolding included then £1500 is not too bad, Cement fibre or spannish slates should not be any more expensive.
If you are going to have a go yourself you may find the cement fibre option easier.

Thanks for your comments!

The quotations state scaffolding, ladders, plant hire as necessary so I am not sure if they will use scaffolding on a single storey job?

Our budget is pretty tight so I assume changing to CF or doing it ourselves is the only option. Out of interest in the £1500 where would you expect most of the cost to be? (I've asked them to provide a breakdown)

Thanks!

Ps any tips if we do slate it ourselves?

Sponsored Links
Don't Pee off your roofers by asking for a break down of the quote, a quote is a quote. It shouts nightmare customer.

Andy

Thanks for your comment. I was trying to figure out where all the money goes and if there is any cost savings to be made. It sounds like there is not much unless we do it ourselves and save on the labour, but may end up with a lesser quality finished product!

Home owning is not fun :(

What is the roof pitch? Does it absolutely have to be slate because there are much cheaper tiling options?

Why should a contractor who has given a quote break it down in any other way than he already has

you pay for the scaffold, tools, slates fixings etc and very importantly you pay for the contractors know how, then you pay for his labour....

sounds fair enough to me

Thanks for your comment. I was trying to figure out where all the money goes

Gas, electricity, council tax, mortgage, food, bills, feed cloth kids, car insurance, public liability insurance to name but a few things

He has to pay those if he sits watch Jeremy Kyle all morning.

No reason for a contractor to hide his labour charge - he knows what it is or he wouldn't be able to quote.

Every reason to not disclose your labour charge, for the same reason when a customer calls you and tells you over the phone they have had 10 quotes and wants another one.

I always ask what their labour and materials cost is. That way I know what they are charging me. Same when I get my car fixed. Don't you ask when you get your car fixed?

Not really Joe. They give me a quote, I take it or leave it.

I've had to employ a builder recently to build my shell as im more internals. I got 3 quotes, they all came in around the same mark so thats the going rate as far as im concerned. Same as when I price my bathrooms I know im around the same pricewise as my competition.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back