Spanish Slate - Any Good

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just got a quote in to replace the back of my slated roof. It currently has Ballachulish slate which is a bit knackered and needs reslating. The only quote for the job I've managed to get is stating it would use Spanish slate. Now I don't know one slate from the other, although I know you can no longer get ballachulish slate, and so other than Spanish, I'm guessing the only other kind if Welsh.

What's the difference in quality and price between Spanish slate and the other available types?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Slate can come from China & Brazil as well, its much cheaper than Welsh or Cornish, even after its sat on a ship for a month :D , its usually fine, ask for a sample if you're not sure.

To be fair I'm not sure what I'd be looking for even if I did get a sample.

After posting I did some searching on tinternet and read a few places saying that Spanish slate will only last about 50 years or so as opposed to the 100+ years of Welsh slate. Not that I plan on being in any house for 50 years, but I want to get the best I can for the building to ensure it continues to be looked after. The sources I read suggested that the grain was unpredictable and so wasn't as hardy.

If Spanish slate is long lasting enough for Scotland then great, but I don't want to waste my money if it's not.

Sponsored Links
Nige F said:
Spain=Dry.....Scotland= :?: ;)

I had kind of figured that one :) I don't know a huge amount about slate, so taking weather into account, does Spanish slate weather badly in comparison to other types?

A reason foreign slates don't get such long lasting lifetime quotes is because they haven't been used in the UK for as long as our native slates. Still, you pays your money. Have you considered reclaimed, they can look really special.

freddymercurystwin said:
A reason foreign slates don't get such long lasting lifetime quotes is because they haven't been used in the UK for as long as our native slates. Still, you pays your money. Have you considered reclaimed, they can look really special.

If I could get reclaimed that would be great, however I'd have to investigate the cost. My biggest problem is getting anyone to even give a proper written quote. Most people never bother coming back with a proper quote.... so this is the first quote I've actually managed to get! I'll give them a call to discuss the options.

Sedimentary, my dear Watson ;)........you`re probably correct.........O.P, don`t forget any possible £ value in the salvaged slate off the roof, it can`t ALL be useless ;)

Bit of background with regards to the current slate.

Although there's nothing wrong with the slate as such, each slate is very small, and quite rounded, which apparently makes it very hard to work with. If this is of possible use, I might mention that to the people who quoted

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back