Spanish vs Brazilian vs Marley Modern....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All, spent nearly 2 weeks reading up and I'm more confused than ever. Had a few quotes for a new roof, and each roofer has suggested different things.

I'm after a roof that will give me the least maintenance issues in the long run, whether this means ease of repair (I won't be doing it myself), or simply fewer repairs needed. Not really bothered about aesthetics, and only slightly bothered about cost (Ie, I'd rather pay now for a better solution that will last longer and give less issues).

One roofer (cousin) has stated Marley modern is by far the best solution and that Spanish slate will cause no end of issues as they never sit flat and are prone to cracking.

Another roofer that wants the job and has asked if he can enter the house into the national roofing awards has suggest Spanish slate as it will last much longer and give fewer issues and that the only reason people suggest Marley modern is cost and ease of fitting.

The house is quite rural, and on the side of a very steep hill. As such with have tree's behind and above the house so we get quite a bit of moss growth as well getting quite strong winds and driving rain hitting the house.

Currently have composite slates that very extremely pitted and have had to change about 30 slates since moving in due to breakage and holes appearing in them.

I've come to the conclusion that I'm not going to be able to make an informed decision (read loads of posts on here and non the wiser) so going to go with the internet consensus... I'm sue in reality both would be more than upto the job, cost difference between the cheapest quote Marley and Spanish is only £2.5K, which I don't personally consider to be prohibitive, so I am literally just after the better of the 2 options.

Sorry for the long read....

Looking forward to hearing peoples thoughts.

Thanks,

Darren.

Sponsored Links
I would recommend avoiding Marley tiles (especially the flat ones) they tend to ship them out as soon as they make them instead of letting them rest which makes them a bit fragile. Plus only having one nail hole isn't the best on a tile.

A good Spanish slate (CUPA's) are extremely good when done correctly and will outlast a tiled roof.

Don't ever go for Brazilian or Chinese if they are suggested.

Thank you Makie, I was edging towards towards Spanish from what I'd read previously. longevity is what I'm interested in. decision made. no more stressing about it :)

thanks,

Daz.

Sponsored Links
I would use some reclaimed slate on your roof if its an old rural building, will outlast any of the above.
Try to find a traditional roofer and forget anyone who mentions tiles.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back