Roof on new extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently had a single story extension built, apart from minor problems,the builder(who is not a roofer)has had a number of attempts at tiling the roof (3 himself) and then a roofer was brought in by the builder to rectify his errors, now the roof looks better but still does no seem right, the problems are, the rafters a 16 deg pitch ,but the tiles on a large area of the roof are sitting at between 7 and 15 deg (this is a double hip roof, with two Keylite windows) the builder, and it seems the building inspector, think this is ok, could anyone please tell me if this is correct, tiles used are Marley Mendips. I've read a few comments about roof problems, but not with these exact issues. Would be grateful for any positive suggestions as I'm very concerned about any leaks that could occur. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Mendips (smooth) will go down to 22.5 degrees. Definitely not suitable for 16 degree pitch. Marley 'Wessex' are the only ones suitable for that pitch.

Sponsored Links
the rafters a 16 deg pitch ,but the tiles on a large area of the roof are sitting at between 7 and 15 deg

I can't even begin to visualise that even after a drink, some spice off eBay and 1/4 lb of cheese before bed.

I can kind of visualize the variations in tile angles - Am I right in thinking Chinese Pagoda type roof , where it flattens @ the bottom. My last bungalow had this ( stupid) feature with rosemarys - 30 degree pitch - fine then the bottom 4 courses were bloody near flat (n) stripped and re felted all round fitting sprockets to get a sensible angle into the gutter.

Before you could offer advice on my roof you had to have a lie down and take some pills. A pattern is forming.

It was your roof that flipped me over the edge. My shrink said that I should not even be visiting the roofing forum.o_O

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back