Troubleshooting: poor flow from gravity fed shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've installed a thermostatic shower which is plumbed in from the header tank and hot water cylinder. Head on this system is about 3m from the showerhead height. I installed a straight new run of pipe for both H&C, rather than tapping into the bath taps etc. I used 15mm and full bore isolators.
Being quite disappointed with the flow rate from the showerhead, I went to check the filters and found that they are part of a NRV. If I blow through the NRV it seems to take a lot of force to open.

Given that I have balanced pressure from each side, can I just remove the NRVs? My understanding is that they are only there to prevent back-syphoning, which I can achieve by using a shorter hose to the showerhead.

Sponsored Links
Done... and the wife still not happy with the flow rate :rolleyes:

So what's next? Rip it all out and put in 22mm instead?
Or a pump?

Sponsored Links
Gravity showers are never going to give you a good flow rate. 3m head equals 0.3 bar. 22mm pipe might give you slightly better results at 0.3 bar but I would start looking at shower pumps if i were you. However you may need extra water storage capacity in the loft with a pump so it can become quite costly to install a pump

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back