Troubleshooting rad problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello!

One of my radiators is not working and I wonder if anyone has any tips for trouble shooting & resolving? Basically it doesn't get very hot - but does get mildly warm at the top of the radiator.

What have I tried already?
- switched off most other radiators to focus the flow through those remaining - and this one acted exactly the same - the others felt like they were going to melt!
- because of the above - I don't think my boiler is under-rated, and there seems plenty of flow.
- it's 2nd or 3rd in line from the boiler out of about 20 rads - most of which are fine.
- my boiler pressure is 1 1/4 bar when cold, rising to about 1 3/4 bar.
- the flow pipe into the radiator gets red hot - but the return never feels more than luke warm.
- I have recently drained and refilled the system for unrelated work - the radiator had the problem before the refilling which makes me think it's not an airlock - and also makes me doubt it's a sludge - the radiator wouldn't have emptied otherwise

I rekon it's one of the following - but wondered if how to determine which - or if there is something I am overlooking.
1. faulty TRV (when I take the TRV off and press the button, it does start/stop the flow - but still could be partially blocked)
2. faulty lockshield/balancing valve - as above. opening it wide did warm the rad a tiny bit - but I am not sure if I felt it because I wanted to!
3. blocked radiator/pipes with gunk - stopping the heating water flowing through - but then why did it drain down OK?
4. airlock - as above, probably in the return pipe - but then I have recently drained and refilled, so unless it's a piece of susceptible pipework...
5. some wierd combination of the above!

Are there any non-intrusive tests I can do - ideally without lifting floorboards & too much carpet!

Cheers - and apols for long post!

whitling2k

Sponsored Links
Any rad can be completely blocked on one side and drain through the other.

The obvious thing is to do the bucket test.

See the FAQ for detals.

Tony

Yes - I thought of that when I had got my post written down!

I missed the FAQ - there seems to be three different sources of FAQ/Info on the site - in addition to the forums.

I've had a read through the various FAQs and sections - some good stuff in there.

Next step: disconnect the radiator, clean it and test the valves.

I have some old 1/2 inch/15mm isolating flexible hoses that fit other rad valves perfectly. I'll repressureise the system with those in place to see if the valves/pipes are faulty.

Cheers

Whitling2k

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back