Truss Loft Conversion - Advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, we have just started a loft conversion, and I have attached a picture of what the SE has advised, If you look at the picture, to get the head height as it is tight,
1) The I beams will be approx 1cm above the existing ceiling,
2) They will attach Flitch Beams in the middle by notchting the existing ceiling joists to keep the head heights then attaching thes from these I beams to the wall.
3) Then they will run new floor joists along the existing ceiling joists from the wall to the flitch beam. 6X2
4) These new joists will be tied to the existing ceiling joists to support the existing roof.

Im trying to get my head round it, as it is nothing like what I have read,

Can this be done?

Sponsored Links
There are many ways to crack a nut!

A flitch beam down the centre which is typically formed with an RSJ with timber inserted into the webs to support the ends of the new joists

timber12.jpg

A flitch beam down the centre which is typically formed with an RSJ with timber inserted into the webs to support the ends of the new joists
Not saying you're wrong Fred, but I'd just call that a, erm, beam :p

A flitch beam is a length of flat plate on edge, restrained by timber either side to stop it buckling...

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back