trusted Desktop retailers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im looking to replace my aged desktop and wondered if you chaps on here had any recommendations on where to start looking....I have looked at dell and wont be looking at PC world ........... :oops: I am on a tight budget and looking to get FAST and RELIABLE machine with the minimum spec of 4GB RAM, 1TB HDD and a graphics card that is up to modern day specs, I intend to use it mainly ffor browsing the web, and photographic and video work.

Sponsored Links
Its about £550.....and im hoping to get a new monitor included in that...although not at the cost of having to lower the spec of the more important components.....I can still use my exisiting one!!

For performance systems at a cheap (relative) price then I have ordered client systems from overclockers co uk , although I normally buy the components and do a build. Their ready to go systems aren't bad.

Sponsored Links
yeah, the overclockers bundles would be a good way to go, just need a case and an operating system.
There are plenty of instructional vids etc. to help you.
Or got to a local computer shop and get some quotes (post them here if you like for advice). This way means you get better more personal after care. Mainly take your time, research and have fun.

Monster. Oclockers also do ready to go full builds.

For the novice it's worth a look.

Start by looking a www.hotukdeals.com where good deals on all things are posted - there is a specific computer tab at the top

I may be worth sourcing the PC and monitor separately as then you can pick the best monitor for your needs rather than a cheapy just thrown in with the PC

Contrary to your previous post, monitors are an important part of the system - especially for photo and video work

Also, up your RAM, as you need lots for video work and its only about £20 for 4gb at the moment.

Hi.

I used to work for PCW, and to be honest, even though I hated the place its not too bad. You have machines in front of you, real people to talk to, and somewhere to complain to. As long as you know the right questions to ask, and don't be fooled to buy on the first visit, you will do OK. Remember, ANY computer can go wrong, its too easy to use PCW as a scapegoat.

If I were you, track down a family friend or work colleague who knows his (or her) apples, and go a few places with them.

Thanks for all the advice chaps.....at present it looks like a mate who knows his way around a PC etc etc is going to build one up to the spec I want......

Get him to give you a list of parts and run it past us (excluding EFCLee.. ;)) first.

Hi.

I used to work for PCW, and to be honest, even though I hated the place its not too bad. You have machines in front of you, real people to talk to, and somewhere to complain to. As long as you know the right questions to ask, and don't be fooled to buy on the first visit, you will do OK. Remember, ANY computer can go wrong, its too easy to use PCW as a scapegoat.

If I were you, track down a family friend or work colleague who knows his (or her) apples, and go a few places with them.

:) yes, the front store is not really that bad, but the Tech Guys (DSG service -PCW,Dixons,Currys,Pixmania,Microwarehouse,Macrowarehouse and probably a few others ) is just shocking....and never,ever buy the refurbished stuff from them, it's not properly tested.

Sponsored Links
Back