Dell configurator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was just idley browsing the Dell website (my monitor is yet to arrive, btw :evil: ), when I thought "I wonder how much a prebuilt PC costs nowadays?"

So, I started clicking options for something I would regard as a general-purpose home PC (i.e. I resisted the temptation of specifying RAIDs and 4GB of RAM). But when I clicked the "show me how much my a**e will bleed after my bank manager hears about this" button, aka "Update price" ;) , the PC I tried specifying is apparently invalid. Why? Well, I selected a soundcard AND a firewire card (firewire card for video editing, it says).

Now, perhaps I'm being simple here, but if I was going to spend £2000 on a system with the intention of doing some video-editing, I would very likely want to have a separate, high-quality soundcard. I don't get it!

And what was taking up the precious PCI slot? An item that couldn't be deleted, apparently... an old legacy modem. :LOL:

I must say though, I'm really not tempted. I know it's easier to just buy a box with a computer in it, but with £2000 and a Saturday I could build something with a lot more capability. Ah well.

Sponsored Links
Back