Trv and lockshield lengths

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We moved into a new property (1967 build) in Septrmber and I've been working my way through the list of jobs.

I've fitted a Tado kit with the Tado trv's to replace the Danfoss ones. The valves were in poor condition and the pins didn't seem to work. With some playing I've got them running, but they are obviously old and I'm not convinced about their reliability. In the Tado app you can see they are going on and off but I'd like to replace them and the lockshields whilst decorating. I went to screwfix and bought new bodies and lockshields, but when I got home, the new ones are smaller! I've attached photos. Question is, can I get a like for like replacement for the trv body and lockshield as they are about 2cm longer. Looking about, most for sale don't state dimensions. Any clues where to buy?
20211126_202937.jpg
20211126_202810.jpg

20211126_205951.jpg

Sponsored Links
Hi,

I may be very wrong, but the size of that valve (and the 1/2" markings) makes me think of commercial heating valves.
Something like:
https://www.cityplumbing.co.uk/Danfoss-RA-FN15-½-in-Straight-Valve-013G008400/p/966729

Technical drawings and sizes are listed here (at the end of the document):
https://assets.danfoss.com/documents/DOC004786403867/DOC004786403867.pdf
Hopefully one will match!

Otherwise, you could look at getting something like a rigid TRV extension piece, to replace the rad tails?

I'm sure others will have better ideas, good luck :)

Sponsored Links
Those are old RA-FN 15 1/2" Straight TRV 1/2" fittings. The way the valves compress onto the pipe is totally different from the way the new 15mm compression valves do. They also use different types of olives. You are lucky though, Danfoss are great for still supplying their old style valves. Just search for the TRV above, you will find them, they won't be exactly the same and threads may be different but the length may be. Give Danfoss a call and they can confirm the dimensions.

th

The lockshield is a little different and it will be trial and error to get a valve to fit, again Danfoss do longer straight compression lockshields.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back