How to remove old Boss TRV Body from Valve?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’ve got a radiator valve of unknown age, with a TRV head on it labelled BOSS. I’ve been able to partially disassemble the TRV body, but cannot see a clear way to remove the it from the valve properly.

I have a Tado TRV to put on and would like to see if it can fit on the existing valve, as otherwise I’ll have to replace the whole valve.

I’ve attached some pictures of the TRV body in question. If anybody can explain how to remove it that would be very useful!
IMG_3900.jpeg
IMG_3903.jpeg
IMG_3902.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Have you tried unscrewing it, where it meets the valve? Have you tried pulling it off?

Purely looking at it as a mechanical fitting - it appears to me as if the bottom ring rotates upwards towards the TRV head. Once this (locking) ring is out of the way, the TRV head could be pulled off of the valve.
Working in a broadly similar way to a collet.

However, this is guesswork, and I could be completely wrong! :)

Reactions: CBW
Sorry, it would help if I’d said what I’ve tried so far wouldn’t it!

I have tried unscrewing it where it meets the valve, but it does not turn beyond a slight play that is blocked when the plastic meets the metal fins(?) that stick out from the valve. It doesn’t feel like it is unscrewing, just pivoting around the valve slightly.

Pulling up lifts the whole valve and radiator before anything happens to the TRV body - it’s possible this is just very stuck, needing more force than I’ve been willing to apply so far.

I believe you’re right about the lower part locking the upper part in place, but it’s not clear in the photos that the two parts appear to be interlocked, so the lower one can’t rotate without the upper rotating too - I’ll put up a better photo tomorrow.

Sponsored Links
I believe you’re right about the lower part locking the upper part in place, but it’s not clear in the photos that the two parts appear to be interlocked, so the lower one can’t rotate without the upper rotating too
Have you tried rotating it both ways?
I.e. from the original photo, turning it clockwise (from underneath) towards the head. Or pulling the ring up independently?
As the worst outcome may be replacing the valve entirely, getting destructive with it is definitely an option! :)

That one doesn't twist. The plastic ring locks the head on to the valve. It should just pull upwards to release.

As most trvs use a screwing locking ring these days, its likely the to need the whole valve.

Last edited:
  • Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back