first timer help with TRV and removing the radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Please excuse me if this is a stupid question but i am a complete novice at this having never attempted it before.

I am in the process of tiling my bathroom (floor an walls), On one of the walls is a small radiator with a Caleffi TRV. My dilema is i need to remove this radiator to allow the tiling to be done. I had planned to close both the manual valve and then the TRV buy setting it to zero then drain the water from the radiator an remove it. On reading various forums and watching Youtube videos i understand that the manual valve is not a problem but the one fitted with the TRV could reopen itself as the room temp drops causing the water to flow. I am unable to get hold of the cover to close this valve if i was to remove the TRV so i am left with the following question.

If i turn of the boiler, and turn of the power to the pumps at my hot tank, set the TRV to zero and manually close the other valve would i still run a risk of water pouring out from the TRV end? ( hope that makes sence)

I had also thought about setting the TRV to zero and placing an isolation valve into the body just while the radiator is off.

Put simply i need a 100% safe way to shut the TRV end without drainning the system as i am unable to do that.

Any advice would be a great help.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
you just need a 1/2" screw on blank, if you cant get hold of one of them a standard 1/2" compression nut, a 5 pence coin inside the nut and then a 1/2" fibre washer works just as well.

try removing the trv head and putting a 5 pence piece in under it. then screw it down as far as it will go.

Sponsored Links
Thanks alot for the info guys its much appreciated, i will pick one up tomorrow.
Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back