TRV problems with radiator removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I am trying to remove my radiator so I can decorate but also replace the radiator itself in the process. I attempted to drain down the radiator (closing off the valves at both ends etc) and it felt like I was nearly there but there was still a reasonable dribble of water. When closing off the valves I noticed that air then started coming out of the open bleed valve at the top (indicating to me that water was still going into the radiator?). I assume this is because the TRV depite being set to 0 is not actually closed. I took the top off the trv to reveal the central spindle as I have read elsewhere that putting in a coin and replacing the trv can force the valve to fully close but the spindle doesn't seem to move. I don't have the dust caps that apparently come with the trv when first bought :( as it was all put in by previous owners. Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Air will come out because its under pressure.

Its only water coming out which indicates the valve is leaking.

Your TRV pin may be jammed down or up.

A coin or other spacer might help.

Regardless, it sounds as if the TRV needs replacing.

When turning off rad valves its safest to add a sealing cap as well.

Tony

Did the radiator work before?
If it did that would indicate that the pin should be working.

The radiator appeared to work fine before. Should the pin be easy to push down with just fingers?

Sponsored Links
Not really, depends which make. Press it down with pliers or similar, it should return to top

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back