Plastic pipe to TRV

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All
I'm connecting a new towel rail and am using this Danfoss TRV and lockshield:
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/43668/Plumbing/Radiator-Valves/Danfoss-Straight-TRV-Lockshield-Chrome

Trouble is that the lockshield is a 15mm compression joint and I can't get it to hold the plastic. I've used JG PEX 15mm and a JG pipe insert in the end but the pipe only pushes in about 3mm into the lockshield, which does not seem enough for a good grip. If I use PTFE wound round the olive and the thread will that help and be enough, or should I bite the bullet and use a copper tube in this section?

Thanks for any advice
Rich

Sponsored Links
try removing insert, put nut and olive onto pipe, replace insert, do up.

Yeah I've got the nut and olive on, then put the insert in, but the pipe doesn't fit far into the lockshield (it looks like the gap is only a few mm and most of that gets taken by the insert!).
I then nip it up tight, but it still very easy to pull the lockshield off the pipe (taking the nut, olive and pipe insert with it!)

are you using the correct jg insert, they do a special for compression joints, also use a copper olive.

Sponsored Links
go to the JG website, they have one with no outer olive that lets more of the pipe go into the compression nut.

Thanks for the tips. Had a look at the site, but was still not comfortable with the amount the pipe went into the valve. I've used copper instead and a bit of PTFE on the compression. We will see if it is ok, but it feels solid.

Yeah, I saw them this evening, but I didn't have them to hand and did have copper. It was also getting a bit cold and I wanted to turn the heating and hot water back on :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back