TRV flow problems in upstairs rads

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In our recently purchased house, the CH system is open vent (pumped) with gravity feed to hot water and bathroom radiator.

Last year, so I m told, the previous owners had TRVs fitted to the two main bedrooms, and the two living room radiators. This leaves the 3rd box/bed room, hallway and bathroom without TRVs.

The are Drayton 15mm angled TRV4's by the way

If all the TRVs are fully open (i.e. on max) then no problem. However, if the TRV is closed down to 3 or 4 then everytime the heating comes on (i.e.pumped) then the two upstairs radiators with TRVs become noisy as if water is trying to be forced through i.e. a swishing noise rather than gurgling or banging - a similar sound to that when you restrict the flow of water from out of a hosepipe with your finger. Then, after a several seconds you also start to hear other noises that are more like gurgling go through the radiator.

I have bled the system over and over. I was advised to check in the header tank to see if water was being pumped up through the vent pipe and to also check to see if air was being sucked through the vent pipe - but neither applies.

A neighbour suggested my pump was too fast but it only has 3 settings, it is in the middle and I already have to use Fernox F2 silencer to stop kettling', I fear slowing the pump would make that worse. It's not maga bad and improved a lot since I flushed he system, but added the F2 just to make sure along with the inhibitor.

Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Try the pump on speed 1.

Andy

Just discovered I can't access the pump speed dial as it is facing the wall due to the pipework being tight to a corner and the flow direction necessitating that the dial face the wall - brilliant planning!

So..... if I am brave enough to remove the pump and turn it down a notch, what should I be looking out for that might indicate the pump is now too slow? i.e. what are the implications and problems associated with a slow pump?

Sponsored Links
Although most trvs are bi directional they can sometimes be noisy when on return best to have them on the flow

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back