Trv / lock shield / balancing issue?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have one radiator in the system which will only get warm if the head of the trv is unscrewed.....i thought it was a faulty trv to start with but this has been replaced......so now thinking the trv and lock shield have been installed the wrong way round?.....i cant ever remember this radiator working properly.....or do you think this could just be a balancing issue?

Sponsored Links
How many arrows on the TRV body?

If only one the TRV can go on either end but installed so the arrow points in the direction of flow: towards rad on the flow (hotter) pipe; away from rad on return (cooler) pipe.

If two arrows, the TRV can go on either end, in any orientation (horizontal or vertical).

It sounds like a balancing problem. Check how far open the lockshield valves are. If more than half to one turn from closed, the system has probably never been balanced.

I have found only one arrow is present on the current trv and the lock shield side warms first when the head of the trv is removed.

So whoever originally installed the system put them around the wrong way.

In theory I should just be able to buy a bi directional drayton trv4 and swap them over, even though traditionally he is in the wrong place?

So where did you get your one arrow TRV?

All have been bidirectional for at least 10 years!

Tony

Sponsored Links
It was about 6 years ago......eBay, selling old stock obviously.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back