Trv pin not bouncing up and down!

I am currently redecorating a customer's hallway whilst they are away.

They have a TRV crown will not twist past the frost setting (to off), they asked me to look at it. I did re-seat it but it made no difference.

I suspect that the pin is not going down far enough.

If I were to place a block of wood over it, and gently tap it to help the pin go down, is there anything I need to be aware of? Should the pin push all the way down to the base? I am only there during the day time. The heating is set for a night time setting, and, as and when needed I do a 2 hour override in the mornings.

I don't want to turn up in the morning to find water weeping out of the pin.

Sponsored Links
The pin wouldn't necessarily go down to be flush with the top of the valve . It needs a new valve really. You may come into grief if you start messing with it.

IMO, if the pin cant be pressed in/down with, say, the handle of a reversed hammer, or if it can, and doesnt, come back out after one/two presses then forget/renew it, mine generally last ~ 6 years although I still have a ( ~20 year old Myson) installed on a attic/bedroom rad. I have allways installed mine horizontally on the return as it, IMO, gives a more accurate reading of the room temperature and means the TRV works more progressively rather than the on/off control that a lot people seem to think. I never exercise mine in the off season but know immediately if any problems when I put the heating back on in ~ October as they will all start warming up progressively as the OT temperature falls, apart from two (non TRVd) ones that are controlled by a digital roomstat.

Attachments

• Myson TRV.jpg
    Myson TRV.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 17

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back