TRV stuck?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How much pressure should the TRV pin need to close it? (or spring back with)

Just to give some background...

I have got a problem with a rad not getting hot, it has been switched off until recently and now I have opened up the TRV but no heat, although the feed pipes running underneath are hot (and the next rad in the loop is hot)

I have tried bleeding and got a 2 or 3 seconds of hissing air, and then a dribble, so I think that's all ok.

The balance valves haven't been touched.

So basically after turning the TRV back up and getting nothing, I have removed the thermostat to check for a stuck pin but it moves freely, but if I push it in it doesn't really spring back, I have to pull it out... is this right?

Thanks for any help you can give.

-----edit-----

having just re-read my post.....

What I'm thinking is that there might be a sealing washer or something stuck within the valve and pulling the pin isn't opening the valve as it should?

Sponsored Links
Keep whacking the side of it with a large adjustable spanner or hammer until it pops up.

aaah, percussive maintenance :LOL:

On a completely unrelated subject.... how hard is it to knock a TRV compression fitting off the end of the feed pipe, with say, a spanner? ;)

depends how tight it was, tighter = harder, also smaller (lighter) spanner = harder

Sponsored Links
To free the pin, tap it lightly and repeatedly with a small hammer.

You'll have a hard job knocking the olive off a pipe if it's been crimped on - you'll need to cut it off or use an olive puller. Personally, if there's access to the olive I prefer cutting it - very quick, easy and guaranteed to work.

Thanks for your replys guys but the question about knocking off the fitting was a joke :D

Have given it a few goes at tapping it and nothing is moving, I'll just bite the bullet and fit a new valve (or once it's all drained down have a look to see of I can free it internally)

Thanks for your help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back