TRV's causing air in rads?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I have recently had my central heating pipes replaced, as the previous pipes were microbore and were not allowing the radiators to heat up.

The plumber also put TRV's onto all but 2 of the radiators in the house (kitchen and bathroom). Since then, the radiators get hot, but I have to bleed the radiators in almost all the rooms on average every 2 weeks.

Also, I occasionally hear a high pitched whining from the living room and bedroom radiators. When I adjust the setting on the TRV, the noise stops, however the noise reappears a few days later and I have to re-adjust the TRV again. The hall radiator also made a noise which sounded like rain - once again I had to adjust the TRV to stop this noise.

I noticed that the bathroom and kitchen rads (the ones without TRV's) never seem to need bleeding.

So last week I decided to remove the TRV's and put on the original covers on the radiators. All the noises have now stopped, and also the radiators all seem very hot, with no sign that they need bleeding.

Can TRV's cause air to get into the system? Is this what is causing the whining noise? If so, is there a way to solve this so I can put them back on?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
TRVs would not cause air in rads on their own.

What make and model of boiler?

What model of TRVs?

If you feel the pipes to each rad then is the TRV on the hottest pipe?

Tony

the boiler is a valient

not sure on model number, or make of TRV - will check when I'm home

should the TRV's be on the hottest pipe?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back