TRV's does it matter which side ?!?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
apologies, novice question here.

Had a plumber fit a new radiator, during installation he swapped the side the TRV was located. ie on old rad TRV on left with L/S on right!!, now it is otherway round.... I've noticed new radiator is cold at bottom/hot at top . Old one wasn't.... , my question is does this change matter!!... in my simple mind is it not now 'filling' from the return and 'emptying' into feed?......

Suppose question is if i get him to swap it back will it improve or is it irrelevant which side valves are?!?

Thanks C.

NB : I've read the FAQ, new boiler 1 year ago, system power flushed then, new radiator so not sure sludge would be cause. Also followed the balancing hint and bit better.

Sponsored Links
Depends whether the valve is bi-directional. It will have arrows on the valve body showing water flow direction.

Most new TRV's are bi-directional so wont make a difference. It sounds like a balancing issue to me. See FAQ on how to balance your system.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back