Begginer question :lockshield seems on wrong end of radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a really stupid/simple beginner question, I looked in the FAQ but could not see anything that answers my question.. So apologies in advance if this is answered elsewhere.

I have just replaced the 2 valves on a radiator. One valve is adjustable +/- (not a TRV) the other is the "lockshield". I replaced the old +/- valve with a new one and the old lockshield valve with a new one.

Q1) Is there any difference between these valves. Internally they looked exactly the same, only difference is one has a screw-down cap the other is adjustable. NB they are pegglers.

Q2) I assume that the pipe/valve to get the first when the CH is on (radiator was disconnected and valves turned off, when i did the test) is the "input/" flow ! Is this a correct assumption?

Q3) I am confused because it is my lockshield valve that gets hot first, does this mean I have the +/- valve on the "return/output" flow, is it the wrong way around?

Q4) If i install a TRV on the radiator, does it have to be fitted on the "input" not the "return", if it is a bi-directional one - does it matter??

Thanks for any help

Steve

Sponsored Links
Steve,

You are correct in assuming the valves are the same.
They are they just have differrent tops on.

Wheelhead to adjust tem of rad, lockshiel to adjust balancing. It has a screwtop so once balanced it cannot be adjusted without removing head.

If you fit bi-direction TRV it does not matter when end it goes, it still works.

Rico

Would i be correct in assuming therefore that my valves are on the wrong way around.

I have the lockshield on the what i guess to be the radiator inlet .. I make this assumption as its the pipe that gets hot when the CH is on and all valves are closed stopping the flow

There's not really a right or wrong end to fit wheelhead and lockshield valves. The valves are identical, it's just one is made more difficult to adjust than the other.

Most would just fit the wheelhead on the most accessible valve.

(Most of our rads now appear to have two lockshields, but that's only because the plastic wheelheads have aged, cracked and fallen off. :oops:)

It doesn't matter which way round bi-directional thermostatic valves are fitted either (otherwise they wouldn't be bi-directional)

Unidirectional valves need to be fitted the right way round, but some get round that by making the complete valve reversible.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all the replys.. help

Sadly i cannot just swap the heads. The +/- valve has a small plastic ring that the "large" head slips over. The brand is "peggler"..the pair were not expensive £11 inc vat. For now i will leave as is until i come to fit TRV's

PS.. Is it worth paying the extra for liquid TRVs or are the wax ones just as good given the price diff. Any particular brands i should be wary of?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back